Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Carl Nygaard <cn...@google.com> on 2006/06/15 23:42:48 UTC

Giving the proxy (some) https support

JMeter devs,

As you know JMeter does not currently allow you to send https requests
through the proxy server.  SSL traffic, by design, cannot be monitored
with a proxy.  As a substitute, I've come up with a very simple tweak
to enable recording https.

I've added a check box called "Attempt https Spoofing" to the proxy
server.  When this is checked, all requests received by the proxy
server are converted to https.  The browser is unaware that the proxy
is using https, so the user, instead of connecting to "https://...",
connects to "http://..."

To try to prevent the client from requesting any https pages, when the
spoofing is enabled, all text responses are scanned and the expression
"https" is replaced with "http."

If you think this might be worthwhile, I'd like to contribute it.  I'm
not familiar with your development process. I have attached a patch.
Let me know if you prefer I submit some other way or if I have left
anything out.

Admittedly the check box makes that line in the GUI rather long.
Also, the image in the user manual will need to be updated.

Carl Nygaard
Testing Services
Google, Inc.

Re: Giving the proxy (some) https support

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Thanks! Looks like a good idea.

The normal way to contribute patches and enhancements is via a Buzilla
enhancement request.

It's a lot easier to keep track of them that way, so if you would not mind?

S.