Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> on 2014/04/06 19:50:41 UTC

Re: meta test HEXHASH_WORD has undefined dependency '__KAM_BODY_LENGTH_LT_512'

On Sun, 6 Apr 2014, John Hardin wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Apr 2014, Helmut Schneider wrote:
>
>>  over the last weeks I constantly run into issues when I cannot get SA
>>  up again because of "broken" rule sets. Today it's
>>
>>  Apr  6 17:06:01.960 [31092] dbg: rules: meta test HEXHASH_WORD has
>>  undefined dependency '__KAM_BODY_LENGTH_LT_512'
>>
>>  Is something wrong in my process or do we have a problem with QA these
>>  days.
>
> Both in part. Do you have the BodyEval plugin disabled? And, I didn't check
> to see whether that subrule had plugin dependencies before using it.
> Fixing...

Request to rule developers: if you develop a subrule that depends on the
presence of a specific plugin or capability thereof, or a specific version
of SA, please include an ELSE clause that defines that subrule with a
static value of zero so that other rules depending on that rule do not
themselves need to be in (possibly excessively complex) IF clauses.

An example of doing this is __RP_MATCHES_RCVD:

# __ version of mmartinec RP_MATCHES_RCVD, for use in metas
if version >= 3.003000
   ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::WLBLEval
     header      __RP_MATCHES_RCVD      eval:check_mailfrom_matches_rcvd()
   else
     meta        __RP_MATCHES_RCVD      0
   endif
else
   meta        __RP_MATCHES_RCVD      0
endif

I am fixing the problem reported above by making a local-to-my-sandbox
version of the above for the __KAM_BODY_LENGTH_* subrules that I'm using,
as I'm reluctant to just go into Kevin's sandbox and make the ELSE
changes. Kevin, if you do that, or if you're willing to allow me to do
that in your sandbox, I'll back my local hacks out.

Comments solicited.

   The world has enough Mouse Clicking System Engineers.
                                                        -- Dave Pooser
  7 days until Thomas Jefferson's 271st Birthday

Re: meta test HEXHASH_WORD has undefined dependency '__KAM_BODY_LENGTH_LT_512'

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
What is there to gain?  A warning with debug goes away?  If it does not fail lint, I think this is a bit of a waste of limited time and energy.  Sorry to be negative.
Regards,
KAM