Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2004/05/17 15:13:14 UTC

[RT] Notification

Hi Lenya devs,

some ideas about how to improve the e-mail notification
when CMS functions are executed.

ATM, the notification is easy to use but not very flexible.
You can pre-configure notification messages, use the
<not:notification> templates in your forms, and the messages
are sent automatically (you don't have to care for them
in your usecase implementation).

I think a Java component would be more suitable for this
task, maybe alongside with predefined forms:

   Notifier notifier = (Notifier) manager.lookup(Notifier.ROLE);
   notifier.useConfiguration(ThisUseCase.USECASE_NAME);
   notifier.addMessage("Resource was published: " + resource.getUrl());

   notifier.send();

Some "automagic" might be useful:

- There is a config file for notification (as it is now).

- We define some request parameter names:
     lenya.notification.to
     lenya.notification.message

- The notifier checks the request for these parameters and
   uses them to override the configuration options.

<very RT>
Maybe it would make sense to use Lenya users instead of plain
e-mail addresses for notification. Then the notification type
(mail, IM, SMS, ...) could be configured, maybe even by the
recipients.
</very RT>

WDYT?

-- Andreas

Re: [RT] Notification

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

>   Notifier notifier = (Notifier) manager.lookup(Notifier.ROLE);
>   notifier.useConfiguration(ThisUseCase.USECASE_NAME);
>   notifier.addMessage("Resource was published: " + resource.getUrl());

WorkflowVersion version =
     resource.getWorkflow().getLastVersion("submit");

User submitter = version.getExecutor();
notifier.addRecipient(submitter);

>   notifier.send();

-- Andreas

Re: [RT] Notification

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 15:13, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>>Hi Lenya devs,
>>
>>some ideas about how to improve the e-mail notification
>>when CMS functions are executed.
>>
>>ATM, the notification is easy to use but not very flexible.
>

> How can it be used? Is there a Wiki or a docu about it? I could not find
> one.

No, there is no documentation yet.

-- Andreas

Re: [RT] Notification

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 15:13, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> some ideas about how to improve the e-mail notification
> when CMS functions are executed.
>
> ATM, the notification is easy to use but not very flexible.

How can it be used? Is there a Wiki or a docu about it? I could not find
one.

    Rolf Kulemann

Re: [RT] Notification

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 15:35, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> As Gregor pointed out, it makes more sense to have that
> on the Wiki:

Good idea. I also think it is useful to inform the dev/user ml that
there is a new RT going on in wikis (for future RTs) so that nobody
misses the discussion/RT.

    Rolf Kulemann

Re: [RT] Notification

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

[...]

As Gregor pointed out, it makes more sense to have that
on the Wiki:

http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaNotificationRT

-- Andreas