Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by bo...@earthlink.net on 2005/10/24 18:18:34 UTC

MSVC support, was: Compilers and configuration tools

Tanuj,

Welcome!  Thank you for your observations about compiler support.
I tried to write my code so as to be as independent of a particular
operating system and a particular compiler as possible, so I hope
that compiling for MSVC is a simple matter.  As far as whether we
should move in that direction, I have stated an opinion that it would
provide easy access to a large base of developers who are familiar
with that compiler and its IDE.  Others have stated concerns about
supporting multiple compilers being a potential source of logistical
problems.

I'd like to ask The List for more opinions for weighing this issue.

(1) Is MSVC support a good move?  It is necessary?  Is it a problem?
Is it prudent?

(2) If we look into supporting several compilers more generally,
do we widen our horizons as to what platforms we can run Harmony on?
Do we create logistical problems by doing so?

How about you folks from projects that have done this sort of thing
in the past?  What do you say?

My opinion-- Itis rather unusual for me that we should be here
because _my_ experience has typically been the inverse:  Support
a single compiler on multiple platforms per architectural
requirements, not support multiple compilers on one platform.
This is why I would ask for the collective wisdom of The List.

Tanuj, thanks for your interest in MSVC support.  Let's see what
people say concerning strategic issues of supporting MSVC.

Dan Lydick

<ha...@incubator.apache.org>

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3D272be09d=

Re: MSVC support, was: Compilers and configuration tools

Posted by Rodrigo Kumpera <ku...@gmail.com>.
Supporting many compilers have a few problems, the three I can think
of right now are, assembly sintax (intel x at&t), compiler extensions
(gcc's computed goto can speed interpreters a lot) and c++ libraries
nuanses (iff c++ is used).