Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Richard Meier <f....@gmx.net> on 2000/06/15 20:50:35 UTC

Xerces and DTD/Schema

Hi
I've the following questions:
- Does the Xerces-J Parser (1.1.1 or any other newer version) allow to get
information about the insertable nodes at a specified node based on a DTD
- Does the Xerces-J Parser (1.1.1 or any other newer version) allow to get
information about the insertable nodes at a specified node based on a Schema
- Will the technology of DTDs be replaced by the usage of Schemas (so would
it  be a good idea to use Schemas instead of DTDs)

If you don't have the time to give me an example or a more detailed
explanation to the first or second question, I would be pleased, if you can
reply with a yes or no, so I do not have to search for something in the
documention that doesn't exist.

Thank you for your time,
Richard

Re: Xerces and DTD/Schema

Posted by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org>.
Let's see if I can get this right...

Older versions of the parsers called this feature "write validation".
That feature currently doesn't work/isn't in the latest parser versions,
for either DTD or Schema.

However, we'd like to see it go back in at some point.  It just lacks somebody
to work on it.  (Schema is being worked on right now).

Schemas will not replace DTD's.  They will be available in addition to
DTD's (you can't mix them though).

Mike