Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Christian Huber <hu...@butterbrot.org> on 2011/09/19 19:50:36 UTC

How to handle errors in RequestCycle.onEndRequest

Hi all,

I just noticed that exceptions occuring in onEndRequest of a
RequestCycle somehow do not reflect on the respone page.

I am using an AjaxFallbackButton and the OSIV pattern and thus commit my
database changes in onEndRequest, now if an exception occurs here I do
get a log entry but I cannot get my application to display the
corresponding error to the user.

Adding a message to the feedback panel does not help as the message gets
displayed on the following request but not the current one. I also tried
using various AbortExceptions like RedirectToUrlException,
RestartResponseException or AbortWithWebErrorCodeException. This did
improve the situation as far as the request did get aborted but there is
still no visual display of the error.

Setting the ResponsePage directly and/or setting redirect to true did
not change anything.

This sounds like a common problem and so I guess there is an easy
solution to it, but I just don't get it right now, so any pointers are
welcome.

Thanks, Chris

--
The Sanity Resort <http://sanityresort.blogspot.com/>

Re: How to handle errors in RequestCycle.onEndRequest

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
onEndRequest() is too late to handle any kind of user-facing exception
because the response has already been committed. just like in
detach(). the only thing that can happen here is that the exception
can be logged.

-igor

Posted by Dan Retzlaff <dr...@gmail.com>.
Maybe one day I'll be able to reply as directly as Igor. :) I didn't know
about those two callbacks.

Posted by Christian Huber <hu...@butterbrot.org>.
Thanks for your reply Dan.

Posted by Dan Retzlaff <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Huber <hu...@butterbrot.org>.
Hi again,

Posted by Christian Huber <hu...@butterbrot.org>.
Sorry, took a while until I got time to test the changes. WIth the
current trunk revision I now can use restart exceptons within
onRequestHandlerExecuted to force a redirect to an error page and even
adding feedback messages seems to work properly.

Thank you very much for this fix! :-)

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Huber <hu...@butterbrot.org>.
Hi Igor,

Posted by Christian Huber <hu...@butterbrot.org>.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Huber <hu...@butterbrot.org>.
Hi again,

Posted by Christian Huber <hu...@butterbrot.org>.
I was thinking about something like that too, but this does look like a
dangerous task. And I think in the long run migrating to 1.5.0 is a
better solution.

Re: How to handle errors in RequestCycle.onEndRequest

Posted by Christian Huber <hu...@butterbrot.org>.
as i suspected ;-) i have been using onRuntimeException already but
without onRequestHandlerExecuted this is not enough.

well, off to migration it is then :-)

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Huber <hu...@butterbrot.org>.

Posted by Christian Huber <hu...@butterbrot.org>.
Hi Igor,

once more thanks for your help. I 'll try that and see how it works out :-)

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.