Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by Chinmay Kulkarni <ch...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/03 05:45:27 UTC

[VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 4.15.0 RC2

Hello Everyone,

This is a call for a vote on Apache Phoenix 4.15.0 RC2. This is the next
minor release of Phoenix 4, compatible with Apache HBase 1.3, 1.4, &
1.5. The release includes both a source-only release and a convenience
binary release for each supported HBase version.

This release has feature parity with supported HBase versions and includes
the following improvements:
- Support for multi-region SYSTEM.CATALOG
- Omid integration with Phoenix
- Orphan view tool
- Separation of the Phoenix-Connectors and Phoenix-Queryserver projects
- 150+ bug fixes
and much more

The source tar ball, including signatures, digests, etc can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/phoenix/apache-phoenix-4.15.0-HBase-1.3-rc2/src/
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/phoenix/apache-phoenix-4.15.0-HBase-1.4-rc2/src/
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/phoenix/apache-phoenix-4.15.0-HBase-1.5-rc2/src/

The binary artifacts can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/phoenix/apache-phoenix-4.15.0-HBase-1.3-rc2/bin/
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/phoenix/apache-phoenix-4.15.0-HBase-1.4-rc2/bin/
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/phoenix/apache-phoenix-4.15.0-HBase-1.5-rc2/bin/

For a complete list of changes, see:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315120&version=12343162

Artifacts are signed with my "CODE SIGNING KEY":
7C5FC713DE4C59D7

KEYS file available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/phoenix/KEYS

The hash and tag to be voted upon:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=phoenix.git;a=commit;h=1f85c13a0935a0705f69b0122aa75ab8d6a634f2
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=phoenix.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/v4.15.0-HBase-1.3-rc2

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=phoenix.git;a=commit;h=e776bb0bc677b8f56571b06130a8fbf080b0a985
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=phoenix.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/v4.15.0-HBase-1.4-rc2

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=phoenix.git;a=commit;h=81ec7d22937cf3f83a4cb2be35d0ce5974dd1fec
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=phoenix.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/v4.15.0-HBase-1.5-rc2

Vote will be open for at least 72 hours. Please vote:

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Thanks,
The Apache Phoenix Team

--
Chinmay Kulkarni

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 4.15.0 RC2

Posted by "larsh@apache.org" <la...@apache.org>.
 This is the jira: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-5607
There I listed a bunch of ideas and also what to test. Let's have a discussion there.The good news is that it is all fixable. I'm still excited about this - please do not read my previous email in any other way.
-- Lars
    On Monday, December 9, 2019, 10:57:28 AM PST, Chinmay Kulkarni <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Thanks Lars, I agree that we need backwards compatibility tests. The past
couple of RC's for 4.15 have been rejected mainly due to backwards
compatibility issues. Good to mark this as a blocker for 4.16.

Posted by Chinmay Kulkarni <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "larsh@apache.org" <la...@apache.org>.

Posted by "larsh@apache.org" <la...@apache.org>.
 Sigh. Agreed.

Posted by Chinmay Kulkarni <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geoffrey Jacoby <gj...@apache.org>.
-1 (binding)

Posted by Nitesh Maheshwari <nm...@salesforce.com.INVALID>.
+1 (Non-binding)

Posted by Neha Gupta <gu...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Daniel Wong <da...@salesforce.com.INVALID>.
 +1 (non-binding)

--
Daniel Wong
Salesforce

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 4.15.0 RC2

Posted by Chinmay Kulkarni <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 (Binding)

Posted by xinyi yan <ya...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Thomas D'Silva <tw...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Chinmay Kulkarni <ch...@gmail.com>.
A correction:

Posted by Chinmay Kulkarni <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "larsh@apache.org" <la...@apache.org>.
 +1 (binding)
I did the following:
- built from source
- verified tar ball
- ran with tip of HBase branch-1
- created tables, global and local ndexes, views, and indexes on views with both 4.15.0 and older client