Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Josef Pullicino <jo...@go.com.mt> on 2010/11/22 12:10:59 UTC

Problems with Backup Manager

Hi all,

We are trying to setup session replication using tomcat as webserver. We
have two nodes communicating together via multicast address groups using
asynchronous communication channel. As an underlying platform, we are using
liferay portal.

We are having problems using Backup Manager especially when deploying hot
portlets. The attached error (Backup Error.txt) is being produced. A lot of
research has been carried out but we did not find any reasonable solution.

You can also find a copy of our server.xml file in which all settings
related to tomcat are found there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Josef Pullicino

Systems Administrator

GO

GO, Fra Diego Street, Marsa, MRS 1501, Malta.

t  +356 2594 6827     f  +356 2124 0112

w www.go.com.mt

This email and any files or content transmitted with it are confidential and
addressed. This message contains confidential information and is intended
only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should
not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender
this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are
reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. The
Company and the originator of this email accept no liability for the content
of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of
the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed
in writing. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that
disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the
contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Warning: Although the Company and the originator  have taken reasonable
precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company
cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of
this email or attachments.

RE: Problems with Backup Manager

Posted by Josef Pullicino <jo...@go.com.mt>.
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your reply.

Details as follows:

Tomcat version: 		6.0.18
JVM:				1.6.0_21
OS:				Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5
(Tikanga)

Tomcats are on different machines with the same OS. They are connected with
multicast address group, this being 239.0.0.1.

I have included Context distributable="true" into tomcat's context.xml.

Thanks,
Josef

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 22/11/2010 14:38, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 22/11/2010 14:35, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>> From: Josef Pullicino [mailto:josef.pullicino@go.com.mt]
>>> Subject: Problems with Backup Manager
>>
>>> We are having problems using Backup Manager especially
>>> when deploying hot portlets.
>>
>> Care to give us a hint about the version of Tomcat you're using, the JVM it's running on, the platform that's running in, whether or not you're using APR, and how the two Tomcat's are connected?  (Same machine, private LAN, or ???)
>>
>> What's in the <Context> element for the webapp(s) of interest?  Do you have <distributable> set in the webapp's WEB-INF/web.xml file or <Context> element?
>
> The root cause of these issues looks like a faulty listener.

Ignore the above - I was reading too quickly.

> <quote>
> SEVERE: Context [/go-portal-login-theme] startup failed due to previous
> errors
> </quote>
>
> The stack trace for that will be in the logs.

There is however, likely to be be some useful information earlier in the
logs.

mark

Re: Problems with Backup Manager

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 22/11/2010 14:35, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Josef Pullicino [mailto:josef.pullicino@go.com.mt]
>> Subject: Problems with Backup Manager
>
>> We are having problems using Backup Manager especially
>> when deploying hot portlets.
>
> Care to give us a hint about the version of Tomcat you're using, the JVM it's running on, the platform that's running in, whether or not you're using APR, and how the two Tomcat's are connected?  (Same machine, private LAN, or ???)
>
> What's in the <Context> element for the webapp(s) of interest?  Do you have <distributable> set in the webapp's WEB-INF/web.xml file or <Context> element?

The root cause of these issues looks like a faulty listener.

<quote>
SEVERE: Context [/go-portal-login-theme] startup failed due to previous
errors
</quote>

The stack trace for that will be in the logs.

Mark

RE: Problems with Backup Manager

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.