Posted to dev@community.apache.org by "Antón R. Yuste" <an...@galiglobal.com> on 2017/09/21 14:07:46 UTC

ASF student collaboration program

Hi all,

We (the VigoJUG) are running a collaboration program (pro bono work)
with the University of Vigo (Spain) to introduce students to Open Source
projects as part of the end of their studies. It's the equivalent to two
full signatures. The idea is to do a proof of concept with two students
this year and open it to more of them in the following courses if it's a
success.

We would like to choose some of the ASF projects and we know the ASF has
been involved in a few student programs, mostly Google
Summer of Code but also a few others directly with universities. So we
would like to know more about it if it makes sense in our case.

In our opinion the program is a win-win for everyone:

  * Students from UVigo: evangelize open-source and get real experience.
  * Senior Engineers from VigoJUG: get familiar with interesting
    projects + help new engineers in our area.
  * Teachers from UVigo: they have interest in many projects of the ASF
    but they are a bit lost, this is a great opportunity for them to
    know more and look for new opportunities of collaboration.
  * ASF: some fresh blood to some projects :-)

We would need from the ASF:

  * Some projects to work with. Issues related to automate performance
    tests or profiling would be great because they have little impact in
    the project and we have some experience on that and running some
    workshops on that.
  * Some initial mentorship. It should be little work, most of the
    mentoring should be done by the senior engineers of the VigoJUG but
    some initial guidance would be very helpful.

I'm not familiar with this list (yet) so I hope this email is fine here :-)

Best regards,

Antón

Re: ASF student collaboration program

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 8:36 PM, Antón R. Yuste <an...@galiglobal.com> wrote:
> ...Approach projects directly is what we are currently
> doing even if it's quite hard sometimes...

For GSoC, several projects have been using a jira label to identify
suitable tickets.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=labels%20%3D%22gsoc2017%22
lists topics that were suggested for GSoC 2017 for example.

I have no idea how many of those are still interesting for the
projects in question, but it might help get a feel for which projects
are open to coaching students, or maybe your students find a suitable
topic there and can get in touch with those projects.

-Bertrand

Re: ASF student collaboration program

Posted by "Antón R. Yuste" <an...@galiglobal.com>.
Hi Shane,

Thanks for your advise. Approach projects directly is what we are
currently doing even if it's quite hard sometimes. Someone tell us to
send an email to this list because of the GSoC
(http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html) and ICFOSS
(http://community.apache.org/mentoringprogramme-icfoss-pilot.html) which
are similar in their goals. I'm glad we did, even if the ASF "tends to
limit which programs we *officially* support", inform of the project
seems to be a good idea.

As soon as we select the students (just two this year, it's a PoC yet),
we'll contact a couple of projects of the committers who shown interest
here (Rafa, Carlos, Hadrian and Antonio David). Thanks for your support!

Best regards,

Antón

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Re: ASF student collaboration program

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Antón R. Yuste" <an...@galiglobal.com>.
Hi Rafa,

Posted by Rafa Haro <rh...@apache.org>.
Hi Antón,

Posted by Antonio David Pérez Morales <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi Antón,

Glad to see initiatives like this one! I would be willing to mentor
students and provide any kind of help that is in my hand.

Regards

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.
Hi!

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Hello Antón,

Posted by "Antón R. Yuste" <an...@galiglobal.com>.
Hi Avik,

The time window of the projects will be from January to June approximately.

I don't know what "credit bureau integration efforts" are... maybe Myrle
could help on that.

Best regards,

Antón

Posted by Avik Ganguly <av...@gmail.com>.
Hi Myrle / Anton,

Fwd: ASF student collaboration program

Posted by Katherine Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
FYI, Edgent community. I saw this on the community development list. I wanted to make you aware of this initiative. It might be a good opportunity to expand the community.

It looks like much less commitment than GSOC, sort of mentor the mentor.

Best,

Katherine

Begin forwarded message: