Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Kate Rosenbloom <ka...@rapidmoney.com> on 2002/04/09 02:01:27 UTC

Using variables in HTTP and JDBC requests

I recently used JMeter to test a servlet, where I needed to have
each test thread generate a unique test sample (the first thread would
create "Test Customer 1", and the second thread would create "Test
Customer 2", etc.).
Also, I needed this unique number to be used in both the web requests
(where the
data record was created), and in JDBC requests that I used to clean up
the
database after testing.

To do this, I implemented a Modifier, called ThreadNumberModifier.  It
will substitute in the numeric ID of the currently executing thread
anywhere it
sees the text tag $$JMETER-THREAD$$ in any HTTP request (parameters or
path) or
JDBC request (the query) it processes.

The prefix $$JMETER- is handled by a superclass of ThreadNumberModifier,
so
it would be easy to add other variable-substituting modifiers, such as
for
random numbers, email addressses from a list, etc.  (I think I've seen
requests
for these in this mailing list).

If other folks think this would be generally useful, let me know, and I
will
submit the code to the developers list for consideration.

    Kate Rosenbloom
    RapidMoney Corp.
    Santa Cruz, CA