Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/08/21 18:40:00 UTC

Help us brainstorm ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0

As we perform the final preparations to release Apache OpenOffice
3.4.1 it is a good time to look ahead to the future.  A big
opportunity is OpenOffice 4.0.  That once seemed so very far away, but
2013 is getting closer every day.   Will it be a large collection of
small ideas?  Will it have a major overarching theme?  Or will it just
be whatever random stuff we happen to have on a given date when we
release 4.0?   The answer, of course, depends on what we, as project
members/volunteers decide to do.   It is a good time now, as a
background activity, to poll the community and wider ecosystem on
ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0.

To participate, go to this page on Google Moderator, where you can
help us gather and rate ideas:
https://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=2011d5

A few project members have already "seeded" this with some initial
ideas. Of course, you are encouraged to add your own ideas, as well as
rate the ideas of others.   Try not to censor yourself from thinking
outside-of-the-box.  We need big ideas as well as incremental ones.

We don't have a close date on this brainstorming activity, but it is
good to get your ideas in early, so there is an opportunity for others
to rate and comment on it.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Help us brainstorm ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0

Posted by Dan <el...@gmail.com>.
John Logan wrote:
> I cannot cope with all the correspondence on this site about things I do not understand and have no interest in.  I have asked to be unsubscribed but nothing has happened.  Can you please ensure I am deleted from any personal list of yours I may have inadvertently got onto.
>
> Thanks,
> John

<snip>

       The solution to your problem is listed below where 2 lines have
the following:

First you send an email to the email address above. Fill in the address
in the To box and send it (no subject and no message). Better yet, copy
this email address in the To box of a new email:
Click Send.
      Second, you will receive a verification email asking if you want
to be unsubscribed from the mailing list. When you get it, click the
Reply button which creates a new email. Then click Send in that new email.

--Dan

Re: Help us brainstorm ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0

Posted by Mikkel Bang <fa...@gmail.com>.
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Calc/To-Dos/Usability#UX_To_Do_List_for_OOo_3.x

Mikkel

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.
On 08/22/2012 03:18 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
>> I incline to the view that we should have some sort of intelligence test before subscr
> Back in the old days, you had to learn to configure a COM (RS232) port
> for your dial-up modem, set up the dial-up modem "log-in script", and
> then install (in case of DOS+Windows the TCPIP stack aka "Trumpet
> Winsock" (being the most popular).
>
> Then there were the AOL users but those were restricted to their own
> walled garden and did little damage.
>
> That was a high enough entry barrier. Not so anymore. Unfortunately.
>
> ;)
> FC

Why?  Did you make money writing code for the rest of us
who didn't know how to get this stuff working?

--doug

Re: Help us brainstorm ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
> I incline to the view that we should have some sort of intelligence test before subscr

Back in the old days, you had to learn to configure a COM (RS232) port
for your dial-up modem, set up the dial-up modem "log-in script", and
then install (in case of DOS+Windows the TCPIP stack aka "Trumpet
Winsock" (being the most popular).

Then there were the AOL users but those were restricted to their own
walled garden and did little damage.

That was a high enough entry barrier. Not so anymore. Unfortunately.

;)
FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: Help us brainstorm ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Help us brainstorm ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0

Posted by tj <tj...@apache.org>.
Folks,

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.
At the bottom of every email from this group there are instructions on
how to unsubscribe.  You can't depend on anyone else to do it for you.
If you figured out how to subscribe, I have faith that you can figure
out how to unsubscribe.

Dale Erwin
Av. 28 de Julio 657, Dpto. 03
Magdalena del Mar, Lima 17, PERU

http://leather.casaerwin.org
http://neapolitan.casaerwin.org

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Re: Help us brainstorm ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
John,

depending on which list you want to unsubscribe from you can help
yourself by sending an email either to ...
... or ...
You will get an automatic reply. Follow the instructions there.

When unsubscribing, you need to use the email address which is receiving
the correspondence that you don't want to get.

Best regards,
Peter

Posted by John Logan <lo...@btconnect.com>.

Posted by John Logan <lo...@btconnect.com>.

Posted by Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu>.
2012.08.21. 18:40 keltezéssel, Rob Weir írta:
> As we perform the final preparations to release Apache OpenOffice
> 3.4.1 it is a good time to look ahead to the future.  A big
> opportunity is OpenOffice 4.0.  That once seemed so very far away, but
> 2013 is getting closer every day.   Will it be a large collection of
> small ideas?  Will it have a major overarching theme?  Or will it just
> be whatever random stuff we happen to have on a given date when we
> release 4.0?   The answer, of course, depends on what we, as project
> members/volunteers decide to do.   It is a good time now, as a
> background activity, to poll the community and wider ecosystem on
> ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0.
>
> To participate, go to this page on Google Moderator, where you can
> help us gather and rate ideas:
> https://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=2011d5
>
> A few project members have already "seeded" this with some initial
> ideas. Of course, you are encouraged to add your own ideas, as well as
> rate the ideas of others.   Try not to censor yourself from thinking
> outside-of-the-box.  We need big ideas as well as incremental ones.
>
> We don't have a close date on this brainstorming activity, but it is
> good to get your ideas in early, so there is an opportunity for others
> to rate and comment on it.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

In old days around 2008-2009 we made similar brainstorming on OOo Base
features, and we put all ideas into wiki page:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Base/Features/Pool
It is a "wild ideas list" not prioritized most of them valid for present
state of Base.
Regards,
Zoltan

Re: Help us brainstorm ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:27:04 -0400
Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> >> As we perform the final preparations to release Apache OpenOffice
> >> 3.4.1 it is a good time to look ahead to the future.  A big
> >> opportunity is OpenOffice 4.0.  That once seemed so very far away, but
> >> 2013 is getting closer every day.   Will it be a large collection of
> >> small ideas?  Will it have a major overarching theme?  Or will it just
> >> be whatever random stuff we happen to have on a given date when we
> >> release 4.0?   The answer, of course, depends on what we, as project
> >> members/volunteers decide to do.   It is a good time now, as a
> >> background activity, to poll the community and wider ecosystem on
> >> ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0.
> >>
> >> To participate, go to this page on Google Moderator, where you can
> >> help us gather and rate ideas:
> >> https://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=2011d5
> >>
> >> A few project members have already "seeded" this with some initial
> >> ideas. Of course, you are encouraged to add your own ideas, as well as
> >> rate the ideas of others.   Try not to censor yourself from thinking
> >> outside-of-the-box.  We need big ideas as well as incremental ones.
> >>
> >> We don't have a close date on this brainstorming activity, but it is
> >> good to get your ideas in early, so there is an opportunity for others
> >> to rate and comment on it.
> >>

> > This brainstorming has been ongoing for 3 weeks now.  So far, so good.
> >  The latest stats are:
> >
> > 533 people have submitted 456 ideas and cast 6,491 votes
> >

> Today, a week later:  633 users - 527 ideas - 7,607 votes
>
> So we are still getting a good amount of feedback.  I added a mention
> of this brainstorming on the www.openoffice.org website header.  That
> should give this even more visibility.
>
> I've heard from some that it would be good to get to a point where we
> can take a "snapshot" of the feedback received, and process that, to
> help set priorities for AOO 4.0.
>
> Would it make sense to do that in another week, say on October 1st?

We should close feedback nominaly at end of September.

> At that point we can:
>
> 1) Put a "thank you" note on the Google Moderator page and stop
> accepting new suggestions.  Point the users to the ooo-users or
> ooo-dev mailing list instead,

> 2) Export the ideas and scores received so far to a CSV file and
> archive that someplace.

This is probably the first step in the analysis of the feedback; many of the suggestions will amalgamate under more general headings, for example, suggestions for better doc/docx support will most probably amalgamate with suggestions for better MS format support.

> 3) Discuss the results received
>
> 4) Maybe a blog post to highlight the brainstorming activity and the
> results received?
>
> Any other ideas?

After the analysis process perhaps list the top ten on the Google Moderator site, without committment that they will be progressed into AOO 4.0

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Help us brainstorm ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0

Posted by Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
2012/10/11 Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>

> KG01 - see comments inline
>
> On Oct 10, 2012, at 11:03 PM, Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, all,
> >  I went through top 180 ideas, and here is my summary till now:
> >
> > 1. OOXML has 12 ideas, and totally 989 + votes
> > 2. Modern UI has 11 ideas, and totally 347 + votes
> > 4. MS binary format support has 4 ideas and 269 + votes
> > 5. Toolbar/sidebar related ideas are 8, and 257 + votes
> > 6. 2 ideas ask for patch/update, and got 253 + votes
> > 7. Preference setting related ideas are 8 and 244 + votes
> > 8. Copy/paste related ideas are 4 and 207 + votes
> > 9. Install improvement related ideas are 4 and got 176 + votes
> > 10. Mobile support ideas are 4 and got 171 + votes
> >
> > About 40 ideas are requiring new features, and got >1300 + votes
> > 17 ideas are to improve user experience for various operations, and got
> >> 400 + votes
> > 9 ideas are about social integration, and got 383 votes
> > 13 asking for the enhancement of existing functions, and got 377 + votes
> >
> >  It is difficult to categorize the ideas and count. I wonder if Kevin can
> > define some criteria and we can pick up different areas to build up the
> > report.
> >

> KG01 - I'll take a look.
>
> You you have the info in a spreadsheet?
>
> Kevin
>
> Kevin,
  Yes, I imported the data from CVS into a spreadsheet, with some of the
tags I added when filtering the ideas. I will send it to you later today.
Thanks!

- Simon

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
KG01 - see comments inline

Posted by Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi, all,

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Agreed, let's close the session and capture the results in the community
wiki.

Moving forward, I like the idea of running targeted sessions for specific
topics.

For example, our next topic could ask people to share their usage scenarios
for social integration. No wrong answers, just a way to get a sense of what

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org>.
Hi

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 12:53:10 -0400
Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> >> Today, a week later:  633 users - 527 ideas - 7,607 votes
> >>

> > And two days later, with no additional promotion other than placing a
> > link on the home page, and we're at:
> >
> > ===> 807 people have submitted 652 ideas and cast 9,358 votes
> >
> > So we're still getting a good amount of visits and even new ideas.  I
> > encourage everyone to review the new ideas as they come in.  Ideas are
> > important, of course, but the collective rating of ideas is the key.
> >
> > As planned, I'll start to wrap this up on October 1st, next Tuesday.
> >

> Final count was:
>
> 1,095 people have submitted 885 ideas and cast 13,019 votes
>
> So still coming in strong, though I detect a good amount of repetition
> at this point.
>
> I've exported a CSV snapshot of the results and checked it into SVN here:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/pmc/brainstorming/google-moderator.csv
>
> It imports into OpenOffice well, if you configure to use commas as the
> delimiter in the import dialog.  It has all of the ideas submitted, in
> all of the categories, as well as per-idea positive and negative vote
> totals.
>
> I don't see any way to pause the Google Moderator instance or tell it
> to stop allowing new submissions.  I put a comment on the homepage of
> our "series" saying we were done and thanking those who had taken the
> time to submit or rate ideas:
>
> http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=2011d5
>
> We do have the option of deleting the series altogether.  Otherwise
> we're going to continue getting new ideas.  But is that a bad thing?
> It is if no one from the project is monitoring it.  But "continuous
> brainstorming" might have some value if we stay engaged with it.  On
> the other hand, if it becomes a routine thing then it will confuse
> some users between when they use Bugzilla (which also has a voting
> mechanism) versus Google Moderator.  IMHO we should delete our
> Moderator page, but set up a new one in the future if we want to do a
> period of concentrated brain storming.  Maybe a more focused topic
> next time.
>
> So unless anyone really wants to see us keep that instance up, I'll
> delete it next Monday.  (And remember we have a snapshot of all the
> data in a CSV file in Subversion).

I agree.  Take the snapshot and close the Moderator page; if the submissions prove useful, we can start it again for a later revision of AOO when some of the current suggestions are in place.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Help us brainstorm ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
UX is willing to help as well.

Regards,
Kevin

Posted by Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 8/22/12 7:54 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 16:24:31 +0200
>> Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> 196 people have submitted 164 ideas and cast 1,852 votes until now
>>>
>>> Juergen

>> When Rob passed the address to this list, I took the liberty of posting it on the User Experience subforum of the en Forum
>>
>> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewforum.php?f=106
>>
>> so that interested Users might contribute their ideas.
>>

> Good idea.  Thanks.
>
> I see that @SourceForge just sent out a tweet about this
> brainstorming.  It is mentioned in our release announcement as well.

I did the same on Xing

Juergen

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.