Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by B G Scott <bg...@comcast.net> on 2012/08/25 18:47:19 UTC

Long Startup Delay

I just installed OO 3.4.1 and the package seems to work well. The only
problem noted thus far is that the startup process seems to take an
exceptionally long time. I'm driving a Mac Mini with 2Gb of ram at 2GHz
and have not experienced long startup delays with any other software.
The spinning CD of death is active for so long that I originally thought
the package was hung and did a force-quit.

Long ago, the same problem occurred under MS Windows because they were
employing a pay-as-you-go approach. Could you be encountering something
similar?

Re: Long Startup Delay

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 11:47:19 -0500
B G Scott <bg...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I just installed OO 3.4.1 and the package seems to work well. The only
> problem noted thus far is that the startup process seems to take an
> exceptionally long time. I'm driving a Mac Mini with 2Gb of ram at 2GHz
> and have not experienced long startup delays with any other software.
> The spinning CD of death is active for so long that I originally thought
> the package was hung and did a force-quit.
>
> Long ago, the same problem occurred under MS Windows because they were
> employing a pay-as-you-go approach. Could you be encountering something
> similar?

Sometimes an abnormal start-up delay is because a file has been printed on a network printer, and OpenOffice is now trying to connect to that printer.
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Long Startup Delay

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM, B G Scott <bg...@comcast.net> wrote:
> The only problem noted thus far is that the startup process seems to take an
> exceptionally long time.

I think the OpenOffice approach -from the OO.o days- has been to
pre-load it -at the expense of a noticeable start-up delay- but for
the benefit of MUCH faster launching of the app after that. Also known
as "quickstarter". (that is, "quickstarter after the first load").

Haven´t looked around lately if that option is enabled by default or
not, as my system, quite frankly, is fast enough so that 5 or 10 secs
more or less do not make a difference for me..

FC

- George Orwell

Re: Long Startup Delay

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM, B G Scott <bg...@comcast.net> wrote:
> . The only problem noted thus far is that the startup process seems to take
> an exceptionally long time. I'm driving a Mac Mini with 2Gb of ram at 2GHz
> and have not experienced long startup delays with any other software.

"an exceptionally long time" is something subjective. Can you reboot
the machine (to avoid system/disk caches from affecting results of
repeated loading) and measure the load time?. That´d put things in
perspective.

TIA
FC
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell