Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com> on 2011/10/28 06:59:22 UTC

Need help setting up James on Eclipse

Hello -

I am attempting to follow the instructions given on the James wiki at
http://wiki.apache.org/james/EclipseNotes and am having troubles getting
it set up and running in Eclipse. I have no troubles getting the SVN
repository set up in Eclipse, and checking out the project as per
instructions. But when I try to verify the checkout things go wrong...
The instructions on the web page say this is an Ant project, but it is
actually a Maven project which I determined by reading the Build.txt
notes. (Suggest updating the wiki?) So I follow the instructions for
building James using Maven and I am getting a number of exceptions/stack
walkbacks and in the end it reports that it failed to complete the
build...  I have captured the output from the Maven build to a log file,
but don't think it would be polite to include it all in this posting...
So if some kind guru can help, and analyze the log file for me, I sure
would appreciate it! Let me know how to send the log file to you....

     Marc..

P.S. The version of Maven that I am using reports -

~/eclipse/james-workspace/James> mvn -V
Apache Maven 3.0.3 (r1075438; 2011-02-28 09:31:09-0800)
Maven home: /usr/local/apache-maven/apache-maven-3.0.3
Java version: 1.6.0_26, vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0/jre
OS name: "linux", version: "2.6.37.6-0.7-desktop", arch: "i386", family:
"unix"

The repository URL I am getting James from is -
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james

and I am doing a checkout on server/trunk

RFC 5321 says angle brackets - but i can't add them

Posted by Garth Noakes <ga...@pbt.co.za>.
I'm using Oracle Apex, in certain instances I don't have the option of
adding them.

It works with MS Exchange Server regardless - should I switch to that or is
there a way of overcoming this in James?

Re: Need help setting up James on Eclipse Solved I guess...

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.
On 11/2/2011 8:24 AM, Eric Charles wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> Many thx for the detailed feedback.
> I will integrate your comments for the next release documentation.
>
> Do you still have the maven exceptions via the shell?
Eric - Yes, I do have a log file showing all the maven exceptions I got
when running it via a shell. Let me know if you want me to send it to
you, or post it to this mail list....

     Marc..

> [...]
>> root, I won't have to remap ports to values higher than 1024?
>>
>> I did not grok the instruction - "For ease, you can also create 2 new
>> eclipse projects to edit the files and visualize the created
>> mails/store/...: james-server-container-spring-conf and
>> james-server-container-spring-var." I think this needs some
>> clarification and have no idea what to do...
>>

>> That's it! Following these instructions is doable, IF you are prepared
>> to do a lot of experimenting/backtracking in order to grasp what one is
>> being asked to do. I wouldn't mind helping out with the documentation,
>> but it appears that getting James to run under Eclipse is a moving
>> target, and I suspect Beta3 and whatever upcoming releases there are,
>> will require a very different approach...
>>
>> Also, my earlier question about all the exceptions I saw during the
>> Maven build (from a shell) remain a concern. (see previous email)
>>
>> I am sure I will be back with more questions as I start to explore James
>> with Eclipse... Thanks Eric for getting me this far...
>>
>> Marc..
>>

>> On 10/28/2011 11:12 AM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>>> Hi Eric - Thank you for replying! Yes, I saw the link at the top of
>>> the wiki page that you are referring to and I was attempting to grok
>>> both pages in order to do the build. ;-) While there is conflicting
>>> information, I think I understand the gist of it, am and indeed
>>> following those instructions as well...
>>>
>>> To be sure we are on the same page, I exported the maven opts via my
>>> .bashrc startup script, as can be seen and am using the following
>>> command to invoke the maven build -
>>>
>>> marc@bigbang:~/eclipse/james-workspace/james-server-3.0-beta1> echo
>>> $MAVEN_OPTS
>>> -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m
>>> marc@bigbang:~/eclipse/james-workspace/james-server-3.0-beta1> mvn
>>> --log-file james.log clean package
>>>

>>> and I capture all the output to the james.log file, so if you like I
>>> can send that to you....
>>>
>>> I have now attempted to build both the beta1 and beta3 versions of
>>> James by checking them out from the following URLs -
>>>
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/tags/james-server-3.0-beta1
>>>
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/tags/james-server-3.0-beta3
>>>

>>> Both builds report Success in the end, but there were quite a number
>>> of exceptions thrown during the builds. (which I as a programmer
>>> myself normally consider as serious problems needing to be fixed, but
>>> I know other programmers have differing opinions on the usage of
>>> exceptions and simply ignore them...) So I am not sure what to think
>>> about whether the build is truly successful or not... Will await your
>>> advise...
>>>
>>> Question - Do I need to run the build as root? Sometimes, I know there
>>> can be permissions issues, especially for such things as using low
>>> numbered ports, and I dunno what these tests are doing under the
>>> covers... (I have tried building as root, seemed not to make a

"The Truth is out there" - Spooky

Re: Need help setting up James on Eclipse Solved I guess...

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marc,

http://about.echarles.net

Re: Need help setting up James on Eclipse Solved I guess...

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Marc,