Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Peter Saxton <pe...@petersaxton.uk> on 2022/05/09 18:48:04 UTC

Similarities between PLC and Arduino programming experiences

I was surprised to see that PLC4x supports the Firmata protocol. This is something that is often used for talking to arduino scale embedded devices. I have been part of several discussions around where it would be possible to use alternative solutions to the traditional and expensive PLC. Has the development of a common API interface, that of PLC4x, over different hardware controllers given any insight on the following questions:

1. Why is there no established ecosystem for hobbiest level PLC programming? If you can't afford a PLC and all the associated licenses what do you fall back on to, is it embedded systems? Does that require moving from the standard PLC languages/environments for C/C++
2. PLC programming and embedded programming models appear very different. For example PLC programming model relies on a cycle or read all inputs at once, execute scan cycle, write all outputs at once, in arduino embedded reading a pin is executed at call time. Are these two models incompatible or more similar than they first appear?

Re: Similarities between PLC and Arduino programming experiences

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi all,

Let me jump onto this to. The use case where cheap io was needed, das the exact reason I built the firmata driver. However I think it needs a bit of love.

I also agree with Cesar, I also think the models are generally quite similar. Perhaps the plc Programms are a bit more structured, but generally they work pretty much the same. Even with plcs you can use inputs as interrupts to trigger some code execution.

Chris

Holen Sie sich Outlook für Android<https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>
Posted by Cesar Garcia <ce...@ceos.com.ve>.
Hi Peter,