Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org> on 2016/06/27 13:01:54 UTC

[DICUSS] Upgrading Guice to 4.0(HADOOP-12064)

Hi developers,

I will plan to upgrade Google Guice dependency on trunk. The change
also includes asm and cglib upgrade.
I checked following points:

* Both HDFS and YARN UIs work well.
* All webIU-related tests pass as described on HADOOP-12064.
* Ran mapreduce job, and it works well.

Do you have any concern or opinion?  I would like to merge it to trunk
on this Friday if you have no objections.

Best,
- Tsuyoshi

Re: [DICUSS] Upgrading Guice to 4.0(HADOOP-12064)

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.
Thanks all for the discussion. I merged it on 2nd July :-)
I think the last task about JDK 8 compilation support is to configure
maven-enforcer-plugin.

Thanks,
- Tsuyoshi

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Andrew.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Andrew.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Andrew.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Andrew.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

<vi...@apache.org> wrote:
> My strong expectation is that we’ll have a version of classpath isolation in our first release of 3.x. I’m planning to spending some cycles right away on this.
>
> Assuming classpath isolation gets in, it is reasonable to bump up our dependencies like Jetty / Guice to the latest stable versions.
>
> Thanks
> +Vinod
>
>> On Jun 27, 2016, at 6:01 AM, Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi developers,
>>
>> I will plan to upgrade Google Guice dependency on trunk. The change
>> also includes asm and cglib upgrade.
>> I checked following points:
>>
>> * Both HDFS and YARN UIs work well.
>> * All webIU-related tests pass as described on HADOOP-12064.
>> * Ran mapreduce job, and it works well.
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12064
>>
>> Do you have any concern or opinion?  I would like to merge it to trunk
>> on this Friday if you have no objections.
>>
>> Best,
>> - Tsuyoshi

busbey

Re: [DICUSS] Upgrading Guice to 4.0(HADOOP-12064)

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

<vi...@apache.org> wrote:
> My strong expectation is that we’ll have a version of classpath isolation in our first release of 3.x. I’m planning to spending some cycles right away on this.
>
> Assuming classpath isolation gets in, it is reasonable to bump up our dependencies like Jetty / Guice to the latest stable versions.
>
> Thanks
> +Vinod
>
>> On Jun 27, 2016, at 6:01 AM, Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi developers,
>>
>> I will plan to upgrade Google Guice dependency on trunk. The change
>> also includes asm and cglib upgrade.
>> I checked following points:
>>
>> * Both HDFS and YARN UIs work well.
>> * All webIU-related tests pass as described on HADOOP-12064.
>> * Ran mapreduce job, and it works well.
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12064
>>
>> Do you have any concern or opinion?  I would like to merge it to trunk
>> on this Friday if you have no objections.
>>
>> Best,
>> - Tsuyoshi

busbey

Re: [DICUSS] Upgrading Guice to 4.0(HADOOP-12064)

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

<vi...@apache.org> wrote:
> My strong expectation is that we’ll have a version of classpath isolation in our first release of 3.x. I’m planning to spending some cycles right away on this.
>
> Assuming classpath isolation gets in, it is reasonable to bump up our dependencies like Jetty / Guice to the latest stable versions.
>
> Thanks
> +Vinod
>
>> On Jun 27, 2016, at 6:01 AM, Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi developers,
>>
>> I will plan to upgrade Google Guice dependency on trunk. The change
>> also includes asm and cglib upgrade.
>> I checked following points:
>>
>> * Both HDFS and YARN UIs work well.
>> * All webIU-related tests pass as described on HADOOP-12064.
>> * Ran mapreduce job, and it works well.
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12064
>>
>> Do you have any concern or opinion?  I would like to merge it to trunk
>> on this Friday if you have no objections.
>>
>> Best,
>> - Tsuyoshi

busbey

Re: [DICUSS] Upgrading Guice to 4.0(HADOOP-12064)

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

<vi...@apache.org> wrote:
> My strong expectation is that we’ll have a version of classpath isolation in our first release of 3.x. I’m planning to spending some cycles right away on this.
>
> Assuming classpath isolation gets in, it is reasonable to bump up our dependencies like Jetty / Guice to the latest stable versions.
>
> Thanks
> +Vinod
>
>> On Jun 27, 2016, at 6:01 AM, Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi developers,
>>
>> I will plan to upgrade Google Guice dependency on trunk. The change
>> also includes asm and cglib upgrade.
>> I checked following points:
>>
>> * Both HDFS and YARN UIs work well.
>> * All webIU-related tests pass as described on HADOOP-12064.
>> * Ran mapreduce job, and it works well.
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12064
>>
>> Do you have any concern or opinion?  I would like to merge it to trunk
>> on this Friday if you have no objections.
>>
>> Best,
>> - Tsuyoshi

busbey

Re: [DICUSS] Upgrading Guice to 4.0(HADOOP-12064)

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.
As I commented in the jira, I'm +1 for upgrading.

-Akira

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <al...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
> On Jun 29, 2016, at 10:16 AM, Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> No objections here?

I talked to a handful of non-committer ISV-type folks yesterday and the general consensus was that there is an expectation that 3.x will have all the dependencies updated to something relatively modern if we can't either remove from the client path[*] or shade them.  So I think it's a safe bet that there basically won't be any major complaints for upgrades.

* - We should be able to use the same trick that is happening in hadoop-tools to do this (effectively lazy loading). I'm not sure it's worth the time/effort/politics to make that sort of a change.

Re: [DICUSS] Upgrading Guice to 4.0(HADOOP-12064)

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <al...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <al...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.