Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Glennan Carnie <ca...@uk.ibm.com> on 2000/12/12 14:52:52 UTC

general/6965: TransferLog ignores LogFormat directives

>Number:         6965
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       TransferLog ignores LogFormat directives
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
We are using TransferLogs (as recommended) to rotate our logs daily, using rotatelogs.
Our httpd.conf file is set as follows (excerpt only):

# Log rotation:
# Rotate the logs every 24 hours.
#
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\" \"%{cookie}ni\"" combined

TransferLog "|/usr/HTTPServer/bin/rotatelogs /usr/HTTPServer/logs/access_log 86400"

According to the online documentation, the TransferLog directive should use the last defined LogFormat directive (in our case, the one directly preceding it).  However, the TransferLog directive seems to ignore the LogFormat and always produces a log using the (default) Common format.

Note: the formatting works just fine with the CustomLog directive.

These symptoms occur whether rotatelogs is used, or another log rotation utility such as Cronolog.

 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]