Posted to user@flink.apache.org by "Kaepke, Marc" <ma...@haw-hamburg.de> on 2017/03/29 09:50:22 UTC

Gelly - which partitioning

Hi guys,

I can’t found on web which graph partitioning are supported by Gelly.

During my search I found this link. But the ticket is still open.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Flink+Gelly

Thanks for help!

Best
Marc

Re: Gelly - which partitioning

Posted by Greg Hogan <co...@greghogan.com>.
Hi Marc,

I’ll defer to Vasia’s comment below from FLINK-1536 as she has much more knowledge and experience with graph partitioning. This is certainly an area of interest so please let us know if you would like to contribute!

The referenced list of papers is at:
  http://www.citeulike.org/user/vasiakalavri/tag/graph-partitioning

"In a distributed graph processing system, you first have to partition the graph before you perform any computation. The performance of graph algorithms greatly depends on the resulting partitioning. A bad partitioning might assign disproportionally more vertices to one partition thus hurting load balancing or it might partition the graph so that the communication required is too high (or both). Currently, we only support hash partitioning; that is, vertices are randomly assigned to workers using the hash of their id. This strategy has very low overhead and results in good load balancing unless the graphs are skewed.”

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-1536?focusedCommentId=15733284&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15733284

Greg

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Hi Marc,

maybe Greg (in CC) can help answering your question?

Regards,
Timo