Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Trevor Vaughan <tv...@isr.umd.edu> on 2003/05/13 19:24:30 UTC

Editable PDF forms.

I don't think that it's the case that you can generate an editable pdf
form from XSL-FO but if anyone has any techniques for doing so in post
production, I would greatly appreciate the tips.  Or, I could just be
wrong and it is possible (yes,no?)

Thanks,

Trevor

Re: Editable PDF forms.

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Clay Leeds wrote:
> Alternatively, you could create some sort of FOP Extension (fox:) which
> creates the form "fields".

There is already an extension which allows PDF code snippets
to be put into the result PDF. This can be used to create
PDF forms,, but requires a great deal of knowledge about
PDF. Actually implementing an extension for PDF forms in
a user friendly way is a significant amount of work even
without event handlers and validation and all this.

> You might look here for more details:
> http://exslfo.sourceforge.net/

Don't bother, nothing interesting there.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Editable PDF forms.

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Trevor,

Trevor Vaughan wrote:
> I don't think that it's the case that you can generate an editable pdf
> form from XSL-FO but if anyone has any techniques for doing so in post
> production, I would greatly appreciate the tips.  Or, I could just be
> wrong and it is possible (yes,no?)

I think you meant:

   Is it possible to use FOP to create an editable PDF form?

The answer, depends on what you mean by "form". As for the editable
part, I just opened up a PDF I created with FOP, and was able to edit it
with Adobe Acrobat (I'd never done that before--neat!).

However, if you're referring to creating a "form" with fields that
anyone with Adobe Acrobat *Reader* can use to modify or "fill out a
form" with, I believe the answer is no. I don't believe the current
XSL-FO spec on which FOP is based calls for including PDF form fields.

I understand, however, that there may be tools available that you can
use to post-process FOP pdf output to enable this type of thing.
Alternatively, you could create some sort of FOP Extension (fox:) which
creates the form "fields".

You might look here for more details:

http://exslfo.sourceforge.net/

If I'm wrong, I'm hoping someone will set me straight.

--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com