Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Michael Edge <mi...@db.com> on 2002/10/16 13:30:11 UTC

Integrating API and XSL docs into Forrest

I would like to integrate my application API docs and documentation generated from my stylesheets into my Forrest docs. The easiest way I can think of to do this is use Javadoc to generate the API docs, something like XSLDoc to generate the stylesheet docs, and then use ANT to run Forrest and copy the API and XSL docs to the correct site location. Is there a better way, or are there plans in Forrest to include application documentation?

Regards

Michael

Re: Integrating API and XSL docs into Forrest

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 01:40:34PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Michael Edge wrote:
>>
>>>I would like to integrate my application API docs and documentation
>>>generated from my stylesheets into my Forrest docs. The easiest way I can
>>>think of to do this is use Javadoc to generate the API docs, something
>>>like XSLDoc to generate the stylesheet docs, and then use ANT to run
>>>Forrest and copy the API and XSL docs to the correct site location. Is
>>>there a better way, or are there plans in Forrest to include application
>>>documentation?
>>
>>This integration is being done for Centipede, because it makes it
>>possible to integrate other docs easily.
>>
>>With Forrest alone it should be possible by "mounting" the external
>>resources in the URI space, but we haven't got to that yet...
>>
>>Jeff, what about creating and putting a top-level matcher in the
>>pipeline that checks first if there is a mount point specified in a
>>config file, and give the static resource found there if there is?
>

> No reason to feed Javadocs through Cocoon..
>
> We just need a link rewriter. Given:
>
> <site>
>   <javadocs dir="../javadocs"/>
> </site>
>
> Translate <link href="site:/site/javadocs">
> into <link href="../javadocs">

Ok, for javadocs I concede, but other things would like to be integrated
into the site, like checkstyle or unit test results.
We should also take this into account.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Integrating API and XSL docs into Forrest

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 01:40:34PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Michael Edge wrote:
> >I would like to integrate my application API docs and documentation
> >generated from my stylesheets into my Forrest docs. The easiest way I can
> >think of to do this is use Javadoc to generate the API docs, something
> >like XSLDoc to generate the stylesheet docs, and then use ANT to run
> >Forrest and copy the API and XSL docs to the correct site location. Is
> >there a better way, or are there plans in Forrest to include application
> >documentation?
>
> This integration is being done for Centipede, because it makes it
> possible to integrate other docs easily.
>
> With Forrest alone it should be possible by "mounting" the external
> resources in the URI space, but we haven't got to that yet...
>
> Jeff, what about creating and putting a top-level matcher in the
> pipeline that checks first if there is a mount point specified in a
> config file, and give the static resource found there if there is?

No reason to feed Javadocs through Cocoon..

We just need a link rewriter. Given:

<site>
  <javadocs dir="../javadocs"/>
</site>

Translate <link href="site:/site/javadocs">
into <link href="../javadocs">

--Jeff

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.