Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by ug...@who.ch on 1998/03/17 09:40:01 UTC

Re[2]: Re[2]: os-linux/1950: All child processes die. Parent

The following reply was made to PR os-linux/1950; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: uggowitzers@who.ch
To: Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>, Steven Uggowitzer <ug...@who.ch>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re[2]: Re[2]: os-linux/1950: All child processes die. Parent
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:32:42 +0100

 >Have you tried an alpha linux newsgroup?  Maybe others have solved this...
 >
 >You've got the latest updates from redhat for everything right?  You
 >definately need the glibc update.

 I've done a little bit of poking around on the net but haven't come up
 with anything.  I've also verified all the RPMs on the machine. All the
 library and core system related files are up to date.

 Last night it died about once every half hour.  One thing I have noticed is
 that prior to dying, the number of requests being serviced increases to the
 limit set on my machine (250). Then the server dies. For example:

 Current Time: Tue Mar 17 09:09:04 1998
 Restart Time: Tue Mar 17 08:36:00 1998
 Server uptime: 33 minutes 4 seconds
 Total accesses: 3457 - Total Traffic: 20.6 MB
 CPU Usage: u14.7 s10.47 cu22.46 cs7.97 - 2.8% CPU load
 1.74 requests/sec - 10.6 kB/second - 6.1 kB/request
 248 requests currently being processed, 2 idle servers
 WKWKWKKKWWWKWKWWKKKKKKKKWWWKKKKKWKKKKKKKKWWKKKWWKKKKWWKKWKKWKKWK
 KKKKWWKWKWKKWKKKWKKKKKWKWKKWKWWWKWKKWKKKWWWKKWWWKWKKKWWWWKKWWWKK
 WWWKWKKWKWWKWWKKKWWKKKKWKRWWKKKKKWKKWWWKWKWKWWKKKKKKWKKKKWWWKKKW
 WKKKWKKWWWKKWKKWKWWKKKKWW_KKKKWWKKWWKWKWKWKKKKDKKKKWWKW_WW......

 However, my server does NOT ever get that many concurrent requests.  The
 KeepAlives seem to linger way too long as well. Also there are way too
 many of them active. Infact there are way more than my config file
 specifies (see below).

 Any ideas?

 Steven

 | Steven Uggowitzer                | email: uggowitzers@who.ch         |
 | World Health Organization,ISM/TES|        stevie@emf.mcgill.ca       |
 | CH-1211, Geneva 27               | phone: (41) 22 791 2453/2111      |
 | Switzerland                      |   fax: (41) 22 791 0746           |
  -See you at INET'98, Geneva 21-24,July 98 http://www.isoc.org/inet98/

 ##########SNIP FROM HTTPD.CONF##############################

 # CacheNegotiatedDocs: By default, Apache sends Pragma: no-cache with each
 # document that was negotiated on the basis of content. This asks proxy
 # servers not to cache the document. Uncommenting the following line disables
 # this behavior, and proxies will be allowed to cache the documents.

 CacheNegotiatedDocs

 # Timeout: The number of seconds before receives and sends time out
 #  n.b. the compiled default is 1200 (20 minutes !)

 # Set to 5 minutes.  Steven
 Timeout 300

 # KeepAlive: The number of Keep-Alive persistent requests to accept
 # per connection. Set to 0 to deactivate Keep-Alive support

 KeepAlive On

 # But this has some problems with Netscape 2.0 so:
 BrowserMatch Mozilla/2 nokeepalive
 BrowserMatch "MSIE 4\.0b2;" nokeepalive
 BrowserMatch Java/1.0 force-response-1.0
 BrowserMatch JDK/1.0 force-response-1.0
 BrowserMatch "RealPlayer 4.0" force-response-1.0
 BrowserMatch "MSIE 4\.0b2;" downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

 # KeepAliveTimeout: Number of seconds to wait for the next request
 KeepAliveTimeout 15

 #The MaxKeepAliveRequests directive limits the number of requests allowed
 #per connection when KeepAlive is on. If it is set to "0", unlimited requests wi
 ll be allowed.
 #We recommend that this setting be kept to a high value for maximum server perfo
 rmance.

 MaxKeepAliveRequests 40
 # Server-pool size regulation.  Rather than making you guess how many
 # server processes you need, Apache dynamically adapts to the load it
 # sees --- that is, it tries to maintain enough server processes to
 # handle the current load, plus a few spare servers to handle transient
 # load spikes (e.g., multiple simultaneous requests from a single
 # Netscape browser).

 # It does this by periodically checking how many servers are waiting
 # for a request.  If there are fewer than MinSpareServers, it creates
 # a new spare.  If there are more than MaxSpareServers, some of the
 # spares die off.  These values are probably OK for most sites ---

 MinSpareServers 5
 MaxSpareServers 10

 # Number of servers to start --- should be a reasonable ballpark figure.

 StartServers 8

 # Limit on total number of servers running, i.e., limit on the number
 # of clients who can simultaneously connect --- if this limit is ever
 # reached, clients will be LOCKED OUT, so it should NOT BE SET TOO LOW.
 # It is intended mainly as a brake to keep a runaway server from taking
 # Unix with it as it spirals down...

 MaxClients 250

 # MaxRequestsPerChild: the number of requests each child process is
 #  allowed to process before the child dies.
 #  The child will exit so as to avoid problems after prolonged use when
 #  Apache (and maybe the libraries it uses) leak.  On most systems, this
 #  isn't really needed, but a few (such as Solaris) do have notable leaks
 #  in the libraries.

 MaxRequestsPerChild 30