Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Charles N. Harvey III" <ch...@alloy.com> on 2004/03/01 17:26:42 UTC

jar versions

I have one little thing that sometimes drives me crazy about most products
that I download off of the internet - jar versions.  There aren't any.  Its
not just Tomcat, its Sun.  How come the j2ee.jar never has a version?  Does
that bother anyone else?

This never really bothered me that much before, because I was still a
beginner
and which version I was using never really came into play.  But now that I
try to keep up on the latest versions of freely available classes the
version
numbers matter.  And, with the advent of Maven, it becomes slightly annoying
to change my project.xml file because the jar does not have a version, or to
rename my jars and add in a number.

Recently I had issues with my classloader because there were jars in there
that I could not override.  What made it really difficult was finding out
which version was used.  But the /tomcat/common/lib/ directory does the same
thing.  Not one of the jars has a version number.  Can this be changed?  Can
a 1.3 or 0.4 be added to the end of each of the jars so that everyone can
know which version their system is loading?

Just my $0.02.  I am trying to get everyone at my company to make sure
everything
is numbered, so I thought I'd throw my opinion around at everyone else.  :)

Big fan of the product, thanks for all the years of great work.

Charlie