Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Stine, Matt" <Ma...@stjude.org> on 2001/11/06 19:03:20 UTC

Cannot start Tomcat on AlphaServer running Digital UNIX

I cannot seem to start Tomcat on our AlphaServer.  We are running Digital
UNIX V4.0F  (Rev. 1229).
I set Tomcat up the same way that I set it up on my Linux box, where it runs
fine.  The only difference is the
path to the JDK, which has been changed appropriately.  Am running DEC Java
version 1.2.2-8.  I have
tried this with Tomcat 4.0 and Tomcat 4.0.1.

Here is what happens when the startup script runs (as root):

# bin/startup.sh
Using CLASSPATH:
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/opt/java122/lib/tools.j
ar
Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0
Using JAVA_HOME:     /usr/opt/java122
#

And here is the output to the logfile (catalina.out):

usage: java org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina [ -config {pathname} ] [
-debug ] [ -nonaming ] { start | stop }

Any ideas?

Matt Stine
Software Engineer
Hartwell Center for Bioinformatics and Biotechnology
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
332 N. Lauderdale St.
Memphis, TN 38105-2794
Phone: 901.495.4602
Fax: 901.495.2945
matt.stine@stjude.org

Re: Cannot start Tomcat on AlphaServer running Digital UNIX

Posted by Tom Drake <rt...@pobox.com>.
The problem with removing the quotes is that if you ever need to pass
parameters to this script that contain spaces, or punctuation characters,
the script will not pass them on as intended.

In addition, there's no reason to do this. If you want to start tomcat,
simply
run the startup script. To shut it down run the shutdown shell script.

If you really must run tomcat.sh directly, you simply need to pass action
as a parameter (e.g. start, stop).

Posted by Dean Bennett <de...@home.com>.