Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Vincent Hardy <vi...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/11/03 20:37:17 UTC

[commit] Important doc. Please read

I have commited doc files:

+ faq.xml. Please review the FAQ and send me your comments by Monday
  noon, PST. The PR person is waiting on this to get started on the
  press release.

+ todo.xml. This contains a list of action items with people assigned
  to specific tasks. It is not exhaustive by any means. Please review
  the list and add/remove/modify the list and let everybody know about
  it.

Thanks.
V.

[commit] deprecation check and (partial) bug fix

Posted by Bill Haneman <bi...@ireland.sun.com>.
Hi:

I have checked in a new build.xml that checks for use of deprecated
APIs.

I found the source of the document stop-loading bug(s), and replaced
calls to
thread.stop() with the (Java Software-recommended) flag-checking
behavior.

There are some outstanding issues with the way threads
are used that we should probably discuss, eventually.  Right now the fix
to the document thread has a limitation - the I/O will not be
interrupted, the
thread only dies when it has checked the flag.   If we use
thread.interrupt()
then any I/O that the thread is doing will receive an
InterruptedIOException,
which would be OK except that at the moment IOExceptions are caught
in the creation routines, a stack trace is printed, and the exception is
not
re-thrown, so it's harder to clean up.

FYI, Thread.stop(), Thread.suspend(), Thread.resume(), etc. are
deprecated,
and with good reason - they are inherently broken!  (The jdk API docs
have some
info about this.)

Christophe/Stephane, I can propose a longer-term solution offlist, maybe
next week.
I also don't mind fixing this myself if nobody else objects.

Thanks,

Bill