Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu> on 2015/07/13 21:01:37 UTC

[IMPORTANT] Git issues

Hey all,
If you haven't pulled from
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-asterixdb.git
(i.e. asterixdb's official apache repository) lately, please don't
until you get an email giving the all-clear. Same goes for submitting
and merging patches from Gerrit. Something inadvertently got committed
to the head of the ASF master branch, which does not exactly agree
with the head of Gerrit's master branch, so they are diverged at the
moment.

Additionally, if in your AsterixDB repository, 'git rev-parse
asf/master' returns c66d23a5ac65ec5218ee47134aea423fd62a32cc , please
the latest from the ASF repository- which we may have to force-push
and overwrite the latest commit from.

Thanks,
-Ian

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.
That's a machine we co-opted for Gerrit teporarily a few months ago, I
figured somehow folks still had visibility into it via some sort of
weird DNS error. I brought it back up today with a restored snapshot
of our Gerrit instance today for testing.

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.
OK, I actually see what exactly happened. The problem is that you
still have your origin set to Google code. You set your origin to ASF
or the Github mirror of it and then git reset your master branch. The
testing instance I was using still had the old push script set, but
that repository will be readonly in a matter of weeks and permanently
deleted after that. I'm surprised folks are still using that as their
upstream.

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Ildar Absalyamov <il...@gmail.com>.

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.
I guess there are other issues like the ones David brought up (emails
to the list about comments there, etc). Hopefully they're addressable
or misunderstandings of how we do things.

-Ian

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Chris Hillery <ch...@lambda.nu>.

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.
We could use ASF's Jenkins, but we have a pretty powerful server here
that's more or less reserved just for building our stuff, so I don't
quite see where the value add would come from. We can do all kinds of
stuff with it that's handy but not appropriate for a public service,
like giving shell accounts to attach profilers to stuck builds, and so
on.

- Ian

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Chris Hillery <ch...@hillery.land>.
Yes, that's also a possibility, although it wouldn't be my first choice,
for what that's worth. The Github PR interface is pretty minimal, in my
experience. Gerrit is noisy and obtuse but it is pretty powerful. Also, we

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Chris,

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Chris Hillery <ch...@hillery.land>.
No attitude was intended. I was typing on my phone in the doctor's waiting
room so I tried to be concise. Apologies if it came across badly.

I stand by what I said, though. I don't think the problem is Gerrit (not
that Gerrit doesn't have its fair share of problems). The problem is having
unrestricted write access to the canonical repository, compounded by rules
that prevent fixing mistakes when they are inevitably made. And my best
suggestion for complying with these ASF infra rules while maintaining a
safe and sane working method is to have devs, as a day-to-day standard
process, set their upstream "origin" remote be set to the read-only Github
mirror.

The discussion of whether Gerrit can fit into the ASF rules at all is, I
think, a completely orthogonal discussion, although both discussions need
to reach a conclusion before we can all be comfortably working again. There
is a separate thread regarding Gerrit already, so I'd suggest continuing
that discussion there.

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Chris Hillery <ch...@lambda.nu>.

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 10:15 PM, Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu> wrote:
> After careful consideration, and some experimentation, this is the
> best plan as I see it:
>
> The last commit we have in ASF master right now
> (c66d23a5ac65ec5218ee47134aea423fd62a32cc) is not one that we wish to
> keep. It's basically the correct commit content-wise, but the message
> and hence hash are wrong and needlessly conflict with Gerrit's proper
> version (900bf1345410264e9b48469da93ccbd831920d2e). Resolving the
> issue by rewinding or restoring Gerrit from backup would involve both
> rewriting history on Gerrit's master branch by rewinding it and
> cherry-picking commits onto it, and ugly surgery to Gerrit's internal
> database. Therefore a force push to ASF git to overwrite the incorrect
> commit, with the correct commit that currently resides in Gerrit's
> master, is likely the least painful option.
>
> The only complicating fact of course, is if anyone has pulled c66d23a5
> to their master branch, or merged it into any feature branches. For
> the former case, just performing a git reset --HARD to master once the
> force-update is performed should suffice. For the latter case, some
> less simple git-fu will probably be in order (checking out to last
> common ancestor, then re-merging would likely be simplest).
>
> I'm open to thoughts/suggestions/objections. Rewriting history in git
> is not something to be taken lightly, so I want to be sure everyone's
> in agreement and aware of what's going to happen.

ASF master branch does not allow force pushes, and rewriting history
won't be permitted. The ASF repo is the canonical repository for the
project.

--David

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.
I believe I have a way to fix this without having to rewrite history,
actually. A simple merge between the two divergent repositories should
do the trick. The merge is trivial because there are no content
differences between the HEAD in Gerrit's master and ASF's master. I'll
go ahead and do this tomorrow if there are no objections, and that'll
solve it.

- Ian

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.

Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues

Posted by Ildar Absalyamov <il...@gmail.com>.
So In the meantime, what’s the proper way to pull the master in order to make a code review?

> On Jul 13, 2015, at 20:05, abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is not a big deal. we can figure that out once a solution to the
> current issue is agreed on.
>
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 6:02 AM, Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I guess we have no choice but to mangle Gerrit to incorporate
>> this commit somehow, unfortunately. There's no way to have the review
>> actually close on that commit. Hopefully it'll let me rebase it ontop
>> of that, but I'm afraid it'll say there's no difference between them.
>>
>> -Ian
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 7:59 PM, abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I am still trying to figure out how to do this but after David's
>> comment, I
>>> am not sure that would be the way to go.

>> with

>> incorrect

>> c66d23a5
>> the