Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by IAS <ma...@iasandcb.pe.kr> on 2002/10/13 19:14:28 UTC

[PROPOSAL]stylebook task output (HTMLPrinter and Xalan2Processor) encoding configurability

Hello, I'm Changshin Lee(usually called "IAS"), a translator of Apache
Jakarta Cactus project documentation in Korean. (The site is
http://jakarta.apache-korea.org/cactus/index.html , but I'm afraid you
might not be able to see those Korean characters.)

During processes to build Cactus Documentation, I found that Apache XML
Stylebook didn't support localization, for example, EUC-KR(Korean)
encoding. I tested on

windows XP
xalan 2.4.0
xerces 2.2.0
ant 1.5.1
stylebook 1.0 b3 (xalan-2)
JDK 1.4.1

The reason was org.apache.stylebook.printers.HTMLPrinter has

    final static String ENCODING = "UTF-8";

and it prevents a HTMLPrinter from generating HTML documents encoded by
other character sets except UTF-8.

Actually XSL has an attribute "encoding" in xsl:output tag, so an idea
hit me that Xalan2Processor obtains the property from the attribute and
pass it over HTMLPrinter.

The attached source files are those I made some changes to for dynamic
encoding configuration. I also attached the built package with b4 label.
The stylebook-1.0-b4_xalan-2.jar works very fine, and now my Cactus
translations are generated by the following settings, e.g. :

index.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="euc-kr"?>

document2html.xsl
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="euc-kr"?>
<xsl:output encoding="euc-kr" method="html" indent="yes" />

I hope stylebook would support flexible and dynamic localization for
many people who cannot utilize UTF-8 and get used to read HTML documents
encoded by their own character sets. I believe this implementation from
XSL is basically very natural as well. Thanks in advance.

Best Wishes,
IAS

Indepedent Java Technology Evangelist
http://www.iasandcb.pe.kr