Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim N <tn...@gmail.com> on 2022/12/12 01:18:16 UTC

Tomcat 9.0.N SimpleTcpCluster Max Cluster Sizing

From the official documentation
"The all-to-all replication is an algorithm that is only efficient when the
clusters are small. For larger clusters, you should use the BackupManager"

Any ideas on what the limit is or how to measure it? Any good articles?

Re: Tomcat 9.0.N SimpleTcpCluster Max Cluster Sizing

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 12/12/2022 01:18, Tim N wrote:
>  From the official documentation
> "The all-to-all replication is an algorithm that is only efficient when the
> clusters are small. For larger clusters, you should use the BackupManager"
>
> Any ideas on what the limit is or how to measure it? Any good articles?

It is one of those how long is a piece of string questions.

I suggest looking at the series of clustering presentations I gave
either in 2015 or 2017. The 2017 ones have audio.

https://tomcat.apache.org/presentations.html

The short version is that with the delta manager cluster traffic grows
with the square of the number of nodes. With the backup manager the
growth is linear. From your current number of nodes and current
clustering traffic, you should be able to figure our a rough limit.

If forced to pick a number without any clustering traffic data, I
usually suggest 4 nodes is the point to switch to the backup manager.

Mark