Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Ross Black <ro...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/01 02:59:06 UTC

Re: Anything common gotchas we should add to the FAQ?

I just fell into the trap of using:

        Properties props = new Properties();
        props.put("compression.codec", 2);
        ProducerConfig config = new ProducerConfig(props);

instead of

        props.put("compression.codec", "2");

or (better because it forces a string)

        props.setProperty("compression.codec", "2");

Using an int value means that no compression occurs, and no errors/warnings
are emitted.

Ross

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hmm, Ross, that actually sounds more like a bug. Rather than fix it, I
think we should just get rid of these numeric codes entirely, they are
pretty obscure. I filed

Should be a pretty easy one to fix...

-Jay