Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com> on 2022/08/12 14:15:58 UTC

macOS Ventura and Stage Manager

A bit of a sidebar:

This isn’t strictly a Netbeans question, but since it affects Netbeans, I’ll ask it here: does anyone know how to make Java apps like Netbeans work better with macOS Ventura’s Stage Manager?  Specifically, here’s the problem I see with all my Java apps, including Netbeans, now: if you have Stage Manager enabled, when you open an application (or application window), whatever app was on the screen before should ‘leave the stage’ - i.e. should get minimized off to the left side - leaving only the newly opened application window.

Well, with Java applications this seems to extend to any dialog box as well.  Click on a menu entry to open a file and your application window disappears while the File Chooser pops up.  Open Netbeans Go-to-Type search dialog or Find Usage dialogs or any dialog - same thing.  It’s always disconcerting - and annoying in cases where you might still want to see the data on the main screen while answering the dialog’s question.  Native apps don’t have this issue - e.g. if you do a File->Open File in Safari, a file chooser dialog comes up, but the main safari window stays.

It is a Java issue - probably the mechanism it uses for displaying dialogs (maybe under the covers they are merely ‘windows’ in macOS rather than native dialogs) - but I wonder if there’s a workaround or if the next version of Java will address this?

tom