Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org> on 2012/08/10 14:51:02 UTC

[Vote][WebConsole] Camel / CXF / ServiceMix modules

Dear all,
Last year Andreas, Charles and I started working on Karaf WebConsole. Since then lots of things was done - almost complete support for OSGi management, switching to Wicket 1.5. Some of things still need to be done - complete Karaf modules, clean up or improve Config Admin / Events / Log / Blueprint pages. Branch for Karaf 3.0 (easy stuff). After that we should be ready to release stable version. Even now we can release early alpha to let 2.x users test webconsole and get involved in community.

Outside core modules we have integrations with Camel / CXF and ServiceMix. These modules are not supported and was done by me as proof of concepts. For now there is no one who is interested in it. We should consider to announce existence of these modules or even Karaf WebConsole to other communities to get them involved in development. If we won't do that we may remove these modules as they will be not supported.

Please take a vote in following two topics:

Should WebConsole be early released:
+1: Yes we should release alpha immediately
0: We should clean up code shortly and release
-1: Wait untill getting stable codebase

Should Camel / CXF / ServiceMix modules be announced to other communities:
+1: Yes, we need to look for interested parties
-1: No, we don't need them now, remove it

I hope that vote will be also good occassion to discuss about WebConsole.

Kind regards,
Lukasz

Re: [Vote][WebConsole] Camel / CXF / ServiceMix modules

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 for  the alpha release

+1 for looking for interested parties.

Posted by Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com>.
For Karaf 3.x

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Lukasz,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Lukasz,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

[Result][Vote][WebConsole] Camel / CXF / ServiceMix modules

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Vote was open since Friday afternoon so I believe most of interested parties got chance to express. The results are following:

Should WebConsole be early released:
+1: Yes we should release alpha immediately
0: We should clean up code shortly and release
-1: Wait untill getting stable codebase

[+1] jbonofre, anierbeck, cmoulliard, jgoodyear, pieber
[0] cschneider

Should Camel / CXF / ServiceMix modules be announced to other communities:
+1: Yes, we need to look for interested parties
-1: No, we don't need them now, remove it

[+1] anierbeck, cmoulliard, jgoodyear, cschneider
[0] jbonofre, pieber

As initiator of vote I won't take vote. From your feedback I see that you would like to see release soon and you would like notify other communities about it soon or right after release (jbonofre, pieber).

Best regards,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
You are right, the purpose is to replace the Felix WebConsole.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [Vote][WebConsole] Camel / CXF / ServiceMix modules

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: [Vote][WebConsole] Camel / CXF / ServiceMix modules

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
I second JB on this one;

+1 for the alpha release and the inclusion

and 0 for the community till the alpha release had been done

Kind regards,
Andreas

p.s.: thx for the great work you did on the wicket webconsole!

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Hey Ioannis,
We can optionally load Felix plugins. The only problem is - they're servlets and handle servlet requests. That's completely doesn't fit a wicket request handling model. However, we can always use some HTML frame. It looks ugly but Glassfish was doing that. :) The more important thing, I believe, is a good developer guide showing people how to write particular extensions. Once that will be done users will be able to migrate their plugins without fear.

Best regards,
Lukasz

Wiadomość napisana przez Ioannis Canellos w dniu 10 sie 2012, o godz. 16:33:

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [Vote][WebConsole] Camel / CXF / ServiceMix modules

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de