Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2019/11/01 15:03:34 UTC

Re: Survey Diversity and Inclusion

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 6:10 PM Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> wrote:

> One danger that I don't know how to solve: In trying to reach as many
> people as possible you will bombard many of us with multiple e-mails.

Undoubtedly, but like many here, I'll end up seeing only one message.

> I am subscribed to dev@diversity.a.o, members@, committers@, two PMC
> private lists, and the corresponding dev@lists. I'm going to get about 7
> copies, and some people are subscribed to a lot more than 2 projects.

As a suggestion, committers@ are direct emails, which should entirely
overlap
the subset of everyone subscribed to members@ and private@ (therefore
including the pmcs@ superset), and those members@ and private@ lists
do not add value if the entire committers@ base will be solicited. So let's
please not duplicate.

Worried someone is filtering their committers@ traffic? Do we want to
include other /active/ contributors who are not yet committers? Then
it seems the dev@ lists are the most effective way to add people. But
it might improve the situation if the initial committers@ appeal does
include some text like the following;

> This survey seeks the input of any Apache "contributor", even those
> who are not committers. We seek your help to extend this invitation
> with those who have contributed in some way to the projects you
> participate in, or perhaps share with your communities' dev@ or
> users@ list.

For the message to come from a respected member of the project
means that even though people will see multiple copies, these direct
appeals will probably encourage more participation, especially by
external contributors, but also perhaps by committers.

Re: Vote on Technical Approach for Survey was Re: Survey Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
I wanted to give this vote a kick and see if we can get some people
weighing it.  There's been a lot of discussion and I believe I've
answered all of the concerns.

+1 from me

-KAM

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 06/11/2019 21.25, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> The list will be all availids.
>
> Is that all emails people have subscribed to all lists or just certain lists? Or something based on Apache IDs? Or what's recorded in LDAP? Each of this is going to generate a different set of email addresses.
>
> Some things that come to mind. Have these been considered?
> - Some contributors do not have an Apache ID / are not in LDAP. (You get one when you become a committer.)
> - Some people have subscribed under multiple emails addresses to different lists
> - Emails address people use are not always the ones recorded in ldap (see for instance see the number of PMCs recorded as not signed up to their private lists as reported by Whimsy, when they have just signed up via other addresses).
> - People have multiple email address recorded in LDAP
>
> If instance if I look myself up LDAP it has several email addresses for me, but I also use other non recorded email addresses to subscribe to some lists.
>
>> There are numerous ways it helps spamming because for 1, people replying
>> with questions won't spm 7k other people.
>
> We currently have 7131 committers, if you included contributors it would be double that (or more). It’s still unclear how wide this group is that the survey link will sent to using this method. When sending to a list the reply to address could be set so that people don’t spam each other. I assume we would want replies to go to the dev@diversity list, if people have any questions about the survey or are having trouble filling it in we can answer them.

There are 26,971 contributors in the past year. We have this data
available, including most of their email addresses. Whether we choose to
spam/ham them (depending on your view) is another matter :)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> This is not going to reach all contributors but all committers.

OK. I assume you are aware that the intent is/was to send to a wider list that that?

> We are relying on their @apache.org address working.

OK so it will only be sent to committers thanks for clearing that up.

> That would be captured in Jira likely in DI-30.  For now, the issue at
> hand is the vote about how it will be sent to the committers.

I assume only PMC votes are binding?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Vote on Technical Approach for Survey was Re: Survey Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID>.
Adding Maria Cruz who is working on a comma launch plan for this.

...snip...

> So we are posting to the lists as well? It might be best to put exactly
what the plan is on a wiki page so everyone is clear what is expected to
happen.

We will do that

Re: Vote on Technical Approach for Survey was Re: Survey Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

AvailIds is the apache Ids when people get an @apache.org address.

> Some things that come to mind. Have these been considered?
> - Some contributors do not have an Apache ID / are not in LDAP. (You get one when you become a committer.)

This is not going to reach all contributors but all committers.

The mechanism to reach all contributors is the email to all PMCs asking
them to post to their users/dev lists and request responses.

> - Some people have subscribed under multiple emails addresses to different lists
Not applicable.
> - Emails address people use are not always the ones recorded in ldap (see for instance see the number of PMCs recorded as not signed up to their private lists as reported by Whimsy, when they have just signed up via other addresses).
We are relying on their @apache.org address working.
> - People have multiple email address recorded in LDAP
>
> If instance if I look myself up LDAP it has several email addresses for me, but I also use other non recorded email addresses to subscribe to some lists.

We are not getting a list of emails subscribed to lists.  That would be
bridging into spam territory where we don't have consent.

I feel we do have consent to send an official Apache missive to your
official Apache email address.

>> There are numerous ways it helps spamming because for 1, people replying
>> with questions won't spm 7k other people.
> We currently have 7131 committers, if you included contributors it would be double that (or more). It’s still unclear how wide this group is that the survey link will sent to using this method. When sending to a list the reply to address could be set so that people don’t spam each other.
I would state that availids which is 1:1 with committers.  Hopefully
this email clears that up.
>  I assume we would want replies to go to the dev@diversity list, if people have any questions about the survey or are having trouble filling it in we can answer them.
Yes.

>> Infra will generate the list.  I expect it to be a trivial ldap to csv.
> Our contributors are not (that I’m aware) stored in LDAP, only committers are.
Agreed.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Justin Mclean wrote on 2019-11-22 3:55AM EST:
> Hi,
>
>> People filter those more often.
>
> I’m not sure how other people use filters but I tend to use them for a) emails that I want to pay more attention and respond right away and  b) emails that I’ll look at at a later time. I filter emails sent to my apache.org address but don’t filter those sent to committers@.

I filter everything, and I read my @apache.org address frequently;
emails to committers@ much less frequently.  So we have one data point
each way.  Anyone have real, statistical data here?  Otherwise we're
just pluraling anecdotes.

> I think that sending emails directly to apache addresses will result in less responses (based on my experience) and given previous history of how external people have used lists of address I’m concerned the list will  be misused.

The security and reliability of uploading individual @apache.org
addresses has already been reviewed and approved elsethread.  Do you
have a specific reason why you explicitly believe we can't trust
LimeSurvey to only use addresses for this survey?

Note that using individual @apache.org addresses allows individual
tokens which we want to use for tracking responded/didn't respond as
well, so changing the plan to use a single committers@ alias email would
lose data.

--

- Shane
  Director & Member

Re: Vote on Technical Approach for Survey was Re: Survey Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID>.
Hi everyone.

I reopened the vote and agreed to it because I wanted to get opinions that
could help me assess all possible scenarios and risks.

I also want to make this a committee's effort.

I will send the final plan tomorrow with the decision I made to move
forward.

Thanks everyone.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Yeah...

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Vote on Technical Approach for Survey was Re: Survey Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Gris Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.
Hi folks,

As per the original message where I opened the vote, I closed it on Friday, and based on the input we received, we had:

4 people voted +1
1 person voted -1
1 person voted +0

So the voted passed, also as per indicated in this thread, even when the vote wasn't binding, I wanted to provide it as a means to discuss sensitive and critical aspects we have documented well and have find ways to protect and respond to in case it's needed.

I have created an entrey in the Wiki [1] where the plan can be read in an organized way as per Craig's suggestion.

I'll send an email with the plat to board-private@, If I see it necessary we can also send one to board@. The reason to email the private list is to give people actually in the board visibility before the launch.

Thanks and happy holidays everyone!

P.S. Big shout out to all the people who made this survey possible. It's been a great exercise and I hope we het great results out of it!

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDI/The+2020+ASF+Community+Survey+-+Launch+Plan

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Niclas is absolutely correct here.  The decision belongs to Gris.  She may
treat the results of the vote any way she pleases.  I believe she has
already expressed a preference.  There is no deadlock here.

Best,
Myrle

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

> Did I miss the formation of a PMC? AFAIK, there is no PMC, and Gris is
> treating the participation any way she likes.

Sorry I misspoke, people on the committee votes shod be binding. [1]

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/nonpmc/diversity

Re: Vote on Technical Approach for Survey was Re: Survey Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
Limesurvey is an oss project so cves don't imply issues with their firm and
I see it as a good sign of transparency.

I don't think Gris or Bitergia will misuse the data and I think limesurvey
is a reputable company that seems to take security seriously.

Knowing the response rate anonymously is important and using a mailing list
will not let that happen.  That alone is enough reason to do it
differently.  It also removes concerns that those people are duplicating
entries because (love the term) it is tokenwalled.

Perfection is the enemy of progress.  Please make a vote. I started the
first vote on Nov 5 and we are in paralysis analysis I fear.

Regards, KAM

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
Preface: I think the statement of misuse potential is an insult to the
people involved.

However, we have easy and simple precedent about the response rate
comparing the mailing list vs direct.  Specifically, with the survey that
went rogue in the summer of 2018, the response rates were dramatically
higher when they emailed directly.  They went rogue because they didn't
receive statistically relevant responses using the lists.

However, they then created their list by scraping public sources of Apache
org addresses and I cut the speaker from our event where they were to
present the results.

That survey was about work experience so I won't posit on the response
rates for this survey.  I would say we would want to collect a
statistically viable sample and comparable or in excess of 2016.

Regards, KAM

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 1:38 PM Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org> wrote:

> > IMO An email to committers it liker to get a higher response rate than
> one
> > sent to all the apache email addresses. I’ve sent emails out to groups of
> > apache emails addresses before and got a low rate of repose. Why do you
> > think an email to committers it would get less responses?
>

> People filter those more often.

Citation, please...

// Niclas

Re: Vote on Technical Approach for Survey was Re: Survey Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.
We have a case where all options have pros and cons.

We are also discussing the possible scenarios for two different sets of
participants: committers and non-committers.

To Patricia's earlier points. The only way to avoid spamming people is to
email directly to apache.org accounts. This is the solution I feel the most
comfortable with, since those email addresses belong to the apache.org
domain and the survey could fall under the program notification category in
the Can-Spam act. I am actually investigating this. This approach also
provides a unique token that would prevent people from filling a survey
multiple times.

For non-committers, the solution I feel most comfortable with is the open
universal token. I think the risk of having people filling multiple surveys
is low, and I am willing to take on the cons there.

From all the options, the risks of the current proposal is the less costly
and less risky.

I also haven't hear from legal-discuss on the gift card side, so it looks
like we won't have an incentive program for the survey. If this is combines
with a general email to committers@, we are basically setting ourselves up
for lower and lower response rate.

Craig, could you outline your questions or aspects you would like the doc
to clarify?

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
I remain -1 on uploading email addresses to third-party, and if that is the
intention, please check with Legal if that is kosher or not, considering
various legislation around the world.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Katia Rojas <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Georg Link <li...@gmail.com>.
> On Nov 21, 2019, at 9:39 PM, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 21, 2019, at 7:33 PM, Georg Link <li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 3. We should disallow multiple responses from the same individual to the survey. This might involve assigning an immutable ID to each person who receives or requests a survey.
>>
>> Tricky. If we share one link on social media, then everyone using that same link expects to take the survey. We cannot prevent anyone from taking the survey again. I do not like to add a separate step of requesting to participate and then us manually sending out personalized invites.
>
> I thought that this would be the trickiest part.
>
> I thought that it might be possible to send an individual invitation to each person that we either know of (email address from our committer base) or who requests a survey for their specific email address (non-committer contributor) and we could then send an immutable survey ID.

Yes, we can. But that would not allow us to have a public survey. The survey would be behind a “token-wall” (I just made up that word). Every participant would need to either enter their unique token or use a link that already contains their token.
This would make it difficult to advertise the survey on social media, because we would not have a link to share for directly taking the survey.

I recommend to keep the survey open and risk that someone provides multiple responses. I believe the benefit of having an open survey and inviting everyone outweighs the risk (but I don’t know everyone in the ASF community to accurately make a prediction).

> Is there any other way to discourage if not eliminate multiple responses?

Technically, not if we want to encourage everyone to participate, even though social media.
Socially, yes. We can draw attention to the fact that multiple answers are possible and then tell people not to use that possibility. Seems counterproductive though.

Do you have someone in mind that wants their specific demographic information to be counted several times? Or someone who wants to dilute the responses? It would require answering 20+ questions multiple times — quite a bit of effort.

--
Georg Link
(he/him)

Re: Vote on Technical Approach for Survey was Re: Survey Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Georg,

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 7:33 PM, Georg Link <li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 3. We should disallow multiple responses from the same individual to the survey. This might involve assigning an immutable ID to each person who receives or requests a survey.
>
> Tricky. If we share one link on social media, then everyone using that same link expects to take the survey. We cannot prevent anyone from taking the survey again. I do not like to add a separate step of requesting to participate and then us manually sending out personalized invites.

I thought that this would be the trickiest part.

I thought that it might be possible to send an individual invitation to each person that we either know of (email address from our committer base) or who requests a survey for their specific email address (non-committer contributor) and we could then send an immutable survey ID.

Is there any other way to discourage if not eliminate multiple responses?

Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Vote on Technical Approach for Survey was Re: Survey Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Georg Link <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Craig,

> 1. We should have a way to track response counts to the survey.

LimeSurvey will give us the number of responses.

> 2. We should allow non-committers to request a survey and encourage PMCs and podlings to have their contributors request a survey.

The plan is to advertise the survey in several channels and to allow anyone to respond.

> 3. We should disallow multiple responses from the same individual to the survey. This might involve assigning an immutable ID to each person who receives or requests a survey.

Tricky. If we share one link on social media, then everyone using that same link expects to take the survey. We cannot prevent anyone from taking the survey again. I do not like to add a separate step of requesting to participate and then us manually sending out personalized invites.

> 4. After the survey is complete we should make the data public, anonymizing the persons submitting the survey. Something like:
> ID                                                            Nationality      Gender     Years
> ---------------------------------------------------- ------------------  -----------  ---------
> 5394875438956fd43098ef7594365984   USA                 D            70

All responses are anonymous. LimeSurvey does not connect survey replies with the person who responded.
The only way to know who responded is if they provide their email address for the gift card or to be contacted for a follow-up interview. We will separate that data before sharing it, of course.

> Can you verify that this is the document being developed? Perhaps link it from the suggested process page.
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dfyMZ58ZENOO21sZvj__g1fjIP-BJfDuIECt066Dsuc/edit?ts=5dbba664

Here is the document that we are building the survey from: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17HqY9RdaYqy8tjvYu72gCoLKI870_CPiSGpR7FGleG0/edit# <https://docs.google.com/document/d/17HqY9RdaYqy8tjvYu72gCoLKI870_CPiSGpR7FGleG0/edit#>

Best,
Georg

--
Georg Link
(he/him)

Re: Vote on Technical Approach for Survey was Re: Survey Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I find it a bit difficult to respond to this message and would prefer to review a document. If a document already exists please give me a pointer.

I'd like to propose that the process being discussed be put onto the public wiki in the D&I site, including a discussion of the privacy issues.

I have a few points that I'd like to have considered when rolling out the plan.

Posted by Gris Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 7:03 PM Kevin A. McGrail <km...@apache.org> wrote:

> The list will be all availids.
>
> There are numerous ways it helps spamming because for 1, people replying
> with questions won't spm 7k other people.

Committers is moderated.  So replying with questions to an email sent to
committers won't spam anyone but the moderators. (poor moderators)

> Infra will generate the list.  I expect it to be a trivial ldap to csv.

I feel like before the discussion on technical solutions gets too advanced
someone should decide whether we're targeting committers or contributors.
Both have advantages and disadvantages.  I'm not adamant about either way.
But it doesn't seem to me right now that there is consensus yet on that
question.

Best,
Myrle

Re: Vote on Technical Approach for Survey was Re: Survey Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
The list will be all availids.

There are numerous ways it helps spamming because for 1, people replying
with questions won't spm 7k other people.

Infra will generate the list.  I expect it to be a trivial ldap to csv.

For the social media and pmc posts, we would use a single reusable survey
token.

All still anonymous but will let us get some insight into response rates.

Regards, KAM

Posted by Georg Link <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

>> We should also still allow anonymous entries, ask PMCs to post about the
>> survey and spread the word on our social media.
>
> I’m not familiar with the platform, but is this possible when each link to fill in the survey (as I understand it) needs a unique token?

No.
LimeSurvey has a setting to allow multiple replies from the same token.
Because all responses are anonymous, we cannot track which token was used for a particular reply.
However, through the tokens, we can track who used the token to reply to the survey.

As I just sent in another email, we need to enable “multiple replies for a token” if we want to share the link on social media.

Best,
Georg

Re: Vote on Technical Approach for Survey was Re: Survey Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
That is effectively the original plan.

Posted by Georg Link <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.
The intent is to get responses from Contributors + Committers

We want to use email addresses on file to reach committers.

To reach contributors, we want to send an email to pmcs@ asking to repost a
link so their user and dev lists can contribute.

The vote Kevin is driving is to get consensus on wether we do a direct
email address upload to lineaurvey or not.

If we don't we will need to send an email to committers@

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Georg Link <li...@gmail.com>.
> On Nov 6, 2019, at 2:19 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Georg,
>
> Thanks for clearing up how that will work.
>
>> To send out invites through LimeSurvey, it requires creating a “participant table”.
>> Every participant is assigned a token, to track whether the participant responded or not.
>> Again, the responses are anonymous and no link between the participant entry and the response is stored.
>
> I assume we know if the participant responded but can’t match that to an individual response. That may not quite be as anonymous as some people expect.

To avoid tracking who responded I see two options, assuming we want to send emails through LimeSurvey:

Option 1:
We can send everyone the same URL with the same token from the dummy participant.

Option 2:
We can leave the survey open, without a participant table. Thus eliminating the need for a token.
The invites are sent from a “dummy survey” that we don’t actually use but instead we include the URL to the real survey.
No tokens, no tracking, full anonymity, to information about response rate.

Option 2 would be identical with using a third-party email service to send personalized emails.
If ASF had the ability to send individual emails, that could be used without loading all email addresses into LimeSurvey.

> Does anything stops people filling in multiple responses?

No.
The only way we can have that control is to limit responses to invited people.
This would eliminate our option for spreading the word via social media and mailing lists.

>> We could use different “dummy” participants to share with different social media (or PMCs) to track how effective the outreach is for each channel.
>
> Again some people may be uncomfortable with any form of tracking.

I was merely pointing out the option. We don’t have to do this.

Re: Vote on Technical Approach for Survey was Re: Survey Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi Georg,

Posted by Georg Link <li...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Kevin for evaluating the use of LimeSurvey.

Comments in-line below:

> My only key recommendation is that we make sure the survey is set to
> "Turn on the Anonymized responses- option" which will "...mark
> participants who complete the survey only with a 'Y' instead of
> date/time to ensure the anonymity of your participants."

Yes, that is how Bitergia set up the survey.

> We should also still allow anonymous entries, ask PMCs to post about the
> survey and spread the word on our social media.

To send out invites through LimeSurvey, it requires creating a “participant table”.
Every participant is assigned a token, to track whether the participant responded or not.
Again, the responses are anonymous and no link between the participant entry and the response is stored.

The challenge is that all respondents need to use a token.
My proposal is to create a “dummy” participant and we use it’s token for social media.
I did a test and we can enable multiple answers with the same token, which is required for my proposal.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

The english privacy policy that was posted before can be found here [1] It seems to be about their website not about any email addresses we provide them with or their survey system. Do we know how they treat that data?

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.limesurvey.org/policies/privacy-policy

Vote on Technical Approach for Survey was Re: Survey Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
I am personally checking the tos and doing a review to advise on the use of
the software in question.  The software is limesurvey in a saas model
controlled by us.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.
Hi folks - I'm adding Maria, who will help us draft a comprehensive comms
plan to outline what we have communicated in this thread.

Maria,

The plan so far is the following:

1. Send direct emails to all apache.org addresses OR to committers@
inviting them to fill the survey
2. Send a note to pmcs@ asking them to share the survey in their users@ and
dev@ lists
3. Social media promotion (in partnership w/ Sally)

Can you help us note this in the comms plan? Once you have it, you can
share w/ this list in a new thread to facilitate discussion on a single
topic.

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.