Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com> on 2008/08/04 20:35:33 UTC

Re: Fwd: Xerces-P as seperate codebase again

Hi Jason,

Jason Stewart <ja...@gmail.com> writes:

> I've not heard back from you about the needed changes to get automake
> working again from xerces-p.

Sorry, I got bogged down with various Xerces-C++ issues.

> 2008/4/16 Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com>:
>
> >  It will be straightforward to add its own automake setup to
> >  Xerces-SWIG that will build the util library. The only thing that
> >  needs to be decided is how the Xerces-C++ distribution will be
> >  located depending on whether it will be inside Xerces-SWIG or
> >  Xerces-SWIG will depend on outside Xerces-C++ installation. I
> >  can help setup automake for Xerces-SWIG once this decision is
> >  made.
>
> OK. So I have the compile working after the reorganization.
>
> The setup looks as follows:
>
> xerces-p/
> xerces-p/swig/
> xerces-p/swig/util/
> xerces-p/xerces-c-src/...
>
> So swig/ is inside xerces-p/ and xerces-c-src/ is also inside xerces-p/
>
> I was only able to get automake working if swig/ is inside
> xerces-c-src/ - so if you can show me how to make it work side-by-side
> that would be really helpful.
>
> What I have worked out with Jay is that Xerces-C's config.status will
> need to be installed as part of the Xerces-C installation - and
> Xerces-P will look for it in the standard place - and if it exists it
> will copy it to the xerces-c-src/ directory and just run ./configure
> to generate the swig/util/Makefile from the swig/util/Makefile.in...

I don't think this approach will work. config.status is generated
based on the files and tests that are in Xerces-C++'s configure.ac.
So if you add any extra tests (e.g., for perl) to Xerces-P's
configure.ac but run Xerces-C++'s config.status things will blow
up.

I am wondering why it has to be so complicated (e.g., having Xerces-C++
inside Xerces-P or running config.status from Xerces-C++)? Can't it
be the way all other autotools-based application do it: Xerces-C++
is built separately and Xerces-P uses installed headers/libraries?
We can copy the needed tests from Xerces-C++'s configure.ac and we
can say that the user should build Xerces-P with the same compiler
and options as Xerces-C++.

Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov, Code Synthesis Tools   http://codesynthesis.com/~boris/blog