Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Jonathan Chawke <j_...@hotmail.com> on 2001/03/09 16:11:17 UTC

Soap Mailing List + SMTP Queries

Hello there,

I've just signed up to this list and I've got a few questions to ask you
soap experts:

(a) Is there a web-based archive of this mailing list so I don't end up
asking the same questions that someone else asked two weeks ago? (can't find
a link to one on http://xml.apache.org/soap/mail.html). If there isn't one
it would really be a useful thing to have!
[incidentally I requested both <so...@xml.apache.org> and
<so...@xml.apache.org> and neither seem to contain anything]

(b) Can anyone point me in the direction of some detailed instructions which
explain how to get the server-side component of the apache-soap smtp service
running? The instructions that come as part of the download are rather vague
on how soap servers/the soap service hook up to smtp.... unlike the http
transport version, the server seems harder to write/configure than the
client(!). I'm guessing that something somewhere on the server has to be
configured to point to a given smtp account on a given server (from which it
gets soap job requests), but its not clear to me how this happens...

(c) To whom should I direct feedback on the apache-soap documentation?

Thanks in advance for your help (and sorry for the lengthy mail),
Jonathan.

Posted by frederic JEANNE <fj...@symetrx.com>.
Hello Jonathan ,

About the Apache SOAP SMTP/POP support : I ask the same question few days ago without answer : )

In fact, I found a SMTP to HTTP bridge sample in the source code of the soap package.
It is named SMTP2HTTPBridge.java, it has been written by Sanjiva Weerawarana.
I suppose he used the IBM POP java bean. The bridge could be integrated as a thread in your application.

In the comments of the source code you'll read :
"The thread polls the POP server to get the SOAP eMail request.
It forwards it to a SOAP HTTP listener and forwards the response via
SMTP to the original requestor (to either the ReplyTo: or From: address) "

There is nothing more, but it's a base to write your own custumized
SMTP to HTTP brigde  for your SOAP server side (what actually I am doing).
For the client side you probably have already inspect the GetQuoteSMTP.java.
Perhaps in the futur Apache SOAP version (called axis) other transport protocols than HTTP will be
supported and documented (more samples).

I hope this answer will help you,

Regards,

Fred. J.