Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2007/04/25 00:28:20 UTC

Re: [apache-forrest-0.8] problem with org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule

On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 16:07 +0200, Ron Blaschke wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> > On 20/04/07, Paul.Divine@alcatel-lucent.fr
> > <Pa...@alcatel-lucent.fr> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >> Just for test I put
> >> org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule in the list of
> >> plugin in the forrest.properties file.
> >>
> >> Note I use the java version j2sdk1.4.2_03.
> >>
> >> When trying to reach the index.html, the browser  displays the following
> >> message
> >>

> >> HTTP ERROR: 500
> >> org%2Fapache%2Fforrest%2Fgeneration%2FModuleGenerator+%28Unsupported+major%2Eminor+version+49%2E0%29
> >>
> >> RequestURI=/index.html
> >
> > We are fully test on JDK1.4 and it should work, so this is probably a
> > configuration problem on your end. Please provide the following info:
> >
> > Operating System
> > Output of "java -version" command
> > Output of JAVA_HOME
>
> I think this is a problem with the plugin.  If you look at the
> 0.8/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule.zip there's a file
> lib/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule.jar.  It contains the
> ModuleGenerator class.  This class has version 49.0, which is Java 5.
>
> My pod-input plugins seems to have the same problem.
>
> After a quick look into plugins/build.xml I think the javac task call
> should contain target="1.4" to tell the compiler to always generate Java
> 1.4 code.  Otherwise the compiler targets the default version, which is
> the own version for recent Sun JDKs.

Hmm, I think I used 1.5 to compile the inputModule plugin and Ron is
right. Ron can you, please, attach a patch to our issue tracker for the
build.xml? TIA.

I can compile the plugin with 1.4 and this problems will go away, but
not for 0.8, or?

salu2

Re: javac version (Was: [apache-forrest-0.8] problem with org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ron Blaschke wrote:

> Sorry for bringing this up this late, but I guess "source" should also
> be added.  It tells the compiler which Java source code version to
> expect.  Could you add this?
>
> +source=        "${build.compiler.vm}"
> target=        "${build.compiler.vm}"

Sure. I thought about doing it at the time.
Done now.

-David

Re: javac version (Was: [apache-forrest-0.8] problem with org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule)

Posted by Ron Blaschke <ro...@rblasch.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ron Blaschke wrote:
>> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>> Hmm, I think I used 1.5 to compile the inputModule plugin and Ron is
>>> right. Ron can you, please, attach a patch to our issue tracker for the
>>> build.xml? TIA.
>> Will do.
>
> A committer needed to deploy the plugin again anyway,
> so i just made the fix.

Sorry for bringing this up this late, but I guess "source" should also
be added.  It tells the compiler which Java source code version to
expect.  Could you add this?

+source=        "${build.compiler.vm}"
target=        "${build.compiler.vm}"

Thanks,
Ron

javac version (Was: [apache-forrest-0.8] problem with org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ron Blaschke wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Ron Blaschke wrote:
> >>
> >> I think this is a problem with the plugin.  If you look at the
> >> 0.8/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule.zip there's a file
> >> lib/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule.jar.  It contains the
> >> ModuleGenerator class.  This class has version 49.0, which is Java 5.
> >>
> >> My pod-input plugins seems to have the same problem.
> >>
> >> After a quick look into plugins/build.xml I think the javac task call
> >> should contain target="1.4" to tell the compiler to always generate Java
> >> 1.4 code.  Otherwise the compiler targets the default version, which is
> >> the own version for recent Sun JDKs.
> >>

> > Hmm, I think I used 1.5 to compile the inputModule plugin and Ron is
> > right. Ron can you, please, attach a patch to our issue tracker for the
> > build.xml? TIA.
>
> Will do.

A committer needed to deploy the plugin again anyway,
so i just made the fix.

We had a build.compiler.vm property, but it was not
being used. It is now. We also now use it in main/build.xml
We got away with it for the release because one of
the steps for the Release Manager was to ensure their
system java version. This explicit way is better.

Thanks Ron.

> > I can compile the plugin with 1.4 and this problems will go away, but
> > not for 0.8, or?
>
> I guess it should work when replaced at
> http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/0.8/ .

I deployed the plugin again. Because it still declares
0.8 as its minimum version, it deploys to the 0.8 directory.

>  If not, it may be necessary to
> remove the plugin from %FORREST_HOME%\build\plugins first.

Lets see. I will reply to the user list too.

-David

Re: [apache-forrest-0.8] problem with org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule

Posted by Ron Blaschke <ro...@rblasch.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 16:07 +0200, Ron Blaschke wrote:
>> Ross Gardler wrote:

>>> We are fully test on JDK1.4 and it should work, so this is probably a
>>> configuration problem on your end. Please provide the following info:
>>>
>>> Operating System
>>> Output of "java -version" command
>>> Output of JAVA_HOME
>> I think this is a problem with the plugin.  If you look at the
>> 0.8/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule.zip there's a file
>> lib/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule.jar.  It contains the
>> ModuleGenerator class.  This class has version 49.0, which is Java 5.
>>
>> My pod-input plugins seems to have the same problem.
>>
>> After a quick look into plugins/build.xml I think the javac task call
>> should contain target="1.4" to tell the compiler to always generate Java
>> 1.4 code.  Otherwise the compiler targets the default version, which is
>> the own version for recent Sun JDKs.
>>

> Hmm, I think I used 1.5 to compile the inputModule plugin and Ron is
> right. Ron can you, please, attach a patch to our issue tracker for the
> build.xml? TIA.

Will do.

BTW, the inputModule manifest says:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.6.5
Created-By: 1.5.0_07-b03 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)

Name: org/apache/forrest/
Comment: Support classes for Apache Forrest
Implementation-Title: org.apache.forrest
Implementation-Version: 0.8 April 14 2007
Implementation-Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation
Implementation-URL: http://forrest.apache.org/

http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/0.8/ .  If not, it may be necessary to