Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com> on 2009/01/20 19:20:58 UTC

Qpid slogan?

Danushka Menikkumbura wrote:
> I don't think it is nice to have the mail addresses in the footer.
> Homepage plus the blog address would be fine. I think we should we
> come up with a nice slogan for Qpid as well. "AMQP Messaging
> Implementation" is not catchy.

I agree. Any candidates?

Apache Qpid: Open Source AMQP Messaging
Apache Qpid: Fast, Reliable, AMQP Messaging

Let the brainstorming begin!

Jonathan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com>.
> I agree. Any candidates?
>
> Apache Qpid: Open Source AMQP Messaging
I prefer this or some variant.

> Apache Qpid: Fast, Reliable, AMQP Messaging

Well ... AMQP is supposed to be Fast and Reliable yeah?. Therefore
saying "Fast, Reliable" looks redundant.

--
Danushka Menikkumbura
Technical Lead, WSO2 Inc.

blog : http://danushka-menikkumbura.blogspot.com/

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Performance note.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Brief note,

Some of guys that work here on our realtime side of the house have made
some improvements in
the Linux kernel, which are part of our Red Hat MRG distribution.

The more general interesting part is that one aspect was back-ported to
RHEL 5.3 called private
futexes. This requires no re-compile etc. If you run RHEL, just update
to 5.3 and qpidd will
perform up to 20% better on throughput for high rates (> 500,000
Msg/sec) or high concurrency loads.
Latency is seems un-affected by this update, still at ~60us for RDMA and
180us for 10G.

enjoy
Carl.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Performance note.

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Manuel Teira Paz <mt...@tid.es>.
You've just brought back to my mind a sentence from Monty Python Holy
Grail, perhaps it could add a bit of fun:

Apache Qpid: Message for you, Sir!

Perhaps it doesn't make a lot of sense if you didn't watch the movie...
Regards.

--
Manuel.

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Some more random ideas:

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
In the same vein ...

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Open Source Enterprise AMQP Messaging, got to love it!

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
Martin Ritchie wrote:
> Just keeping this thread going here is another summary of the
> suggested slogans I added one more at the end, which is a combination
> of two previous ones really. Tried to capture the 'love' angle for
> Rob, highlighting the fact that you could never really fall in love
> with messaging before AMQP.
>
> Apache Qpid, AMQP Enterprise Messaging
> Apache Qpid: Fast, Reliable, AMQP Messaging
> Apache Qpid: Advanced Messaging, Quick, Purposeful
> Apache Qpid, AMQP Enterprise Messaging that just works.
> Apache Qpid, Enterprise Messaging through AMQP
> Apache Qpid, AMQP Enterprise Messaging

My 2 cents: I think the term 'Enterprise' is often overused and
consequently has negative associations for some. I'd prefer leaving that
word out of any slogan. I also think it should either be demonstrably
true or bland enough to not be testable. ('Open Source AMQP Messaging'
would be my favourite of those I've seen - bland but clear and to the
point!)

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
Just keeping this thread going here is another summary of the
suggested slogans I added one more at the end, which is a combination
of two previous ones really. Tried to capture the 'love' angle for
Rob, highlighting the fact that you could never really fall in love
with messaging before AMQP.

Apache Qpid, AMQP Enterprise Messaging
Apache Qpid: Fast, Reliable, AMQP Messaging
Apache Qpid: Advanced Messaging, Quick, Purposeful
Apache Qpid, AMQP Enterprise Messaging that just works.
Apache Qpid, Enterprise Messaging through AMQP
Apache Qpid, AMQP Enterprise Messaging

Apache Qpid: Messaging for the AMQP Generation
Start AMQP Messaging with Apache Qpid
Apache Qpid: Standardised Messaging with AMQP
Got Messaging? Think AMQP. Think Apache Qpid.
Apache Qpid, messaging with added AMQP

Fall in love with messaging. Stay safe with Apache Qpid and AMQP.
Tell someone you love them. Give them the message with Apache Qpid and AMQP.

Fall in love with messaging for the first time. Apache Qpid: Open
Standard Messaging with AMQP

Lets see if we can narrow this down to a short list of less than 5 for a vote.

Martin
2009/1/23 Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Robert Godfrey
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/1/23 Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>:
>
>>> Sadly at this point I ran out of ways to make messaging sound
>>> exciting. Maybe I should start watching Mad Men.
>>
>> I can't help feeling that we should try to work in a Qpid / Cupid /
>> Falling in love type theme... though the thought of falling in love
>> with messaging is obviously perverse :-)
>

> - Aidan (who is off on holiday next week and is a little demob happy)
> --
> Apache Qpid - World Domination through Advanced Message Queueing
> http://qpid.apache.org

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Martin Ritchie

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
2009/1/23 Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> While they fulfill all the criteria, none of them really grab me.
>> Something with a bit more vim and vigour maybe?
>
> I spent 5 minutes with sloganizer.net and realised that we need some
> sort of positive statement (but not a measurable claim, and preferably
> and absolute one rather than a statement relative to a competitor)
> along with the words AMQP, Apache Qpid and Messaging.
>
> Apache Qpid: Messaging for the AMQP Generation
> Start AMQP Messaging with Apache Qpid
> Apache Qpid: Standardised Messaging with AMQP
> Got Messaging? Think AMQP. Think Apache Qpid.
> Apache Qpid, messaging with added AMQP
>
> Sadly at this point I ran out of ways to make messaging sound
> exciting. Maybe I should start watching Mad Men.

I can't help feeling that we should try to work in a Qpid / Cupid /
Falling in love type theme... though the thought of falling in love
with messaging is obviously perverse :-)

-- Rob

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:

> While they fulfill all the criteria, none of them really grab me.
> Something with a bit more vim and vigour maybe?

I spent 5 minutes with sloganizer.net and realised that we need some
sort of positive statement (but not a measurable claim, and preferably
and absolute one rather than a statement relative to a competitor)
along with the words AMQP, Apache Qpid and Messaging.

Apache Qpid: Messaging for the AMQP Generation
Start AMQP Messaging with Apache Qpid
Apache Qpid: Standardised Messaging with AMQP
Got Messaging? Think AMQP. Think Apache Qpid.
Apache Qpid, messaging with added AMQP

Sadly at this point I ran out of ways to make messaging sound
exciting. Maybe I should start watching Mad Men.

- Aidan

http://qpid.apache.org

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Marnie McCormack
<ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Apache Qpid, AMQP Enterprise Messaging <-- This one is my favourite i think.
> Apache Qpid: Fast, Reliable, AMQP Messaging
> Apache Qpid: Advanced Messaging, Quick, Purposeful
> Apache Qpid, AMQP Enterprise Messaging that just works.
> Apache Qpid, Enterprise Messaging through AMQP
> Apache Qpid, AMQP Enterprise Messaging
> What do other people think about one of these ?

While they fulfill all the criteria, none of them really grab me.
Something with a bit more vim and vigour maybe?

- Aidan (who feels a little dirty in this discussion)

http://qpid.apache.org

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
I think they all have plus points (great ideas everyone). For me we need to
say what our project does (i.e. messaging) in the slogan and that it's AMQP.
I think the 'Apache' gives us the Open Source credential.

So, from my pov that leaves us with:

Apache Qpid, AMQP Enterprise Messaging <-- This one is my favourite i think.
Apache Qpid: Fast, Reliable, AMQP Messaging
Apache Qpid: Advanced Messaging, Quick, Purposeful
Apache Qpid, AMQP Enterprise Messaging that just works.
Apache Qpid, Enterprise Messaging through AMQP
Apache Qpid, AMQP Enterprise Messaging
What do other people think about one of these ?

Marnie

Re: build and post a windows binary

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Joshua Kramer <jo...@globalherald.net> wrote:

> Everyone, the Windows build (Debug and Release Static) is here:
>
> http://www.octoberridge.com/qpid-M4-win-binary-jpk.zip
>
> Can someone please mirror this, so that my DSL line is not saturated?  :)

I'm downloading this now. I'll put it up at
http://people.apache.org/~aidan/ when it's done.

- Aidan
http://qpid.apache.org

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Joshua Kramer <jo...@globalherald.net> wrote:

> Everyone, the Windows build (Debug and Release Static) is here:
>
> http://www.octoberridge.com/qpid-M4-win-binary-jpk.zip
>
> Can someone please mirror this, so that my DSL line is not saturated?  :)

Thanks Josh. I've uploaded this to
http://people.apache.org/~aidan/qpid/qpid-M4-win-binary-jpk.zip

(I have no ability to test this, so I hope it works)

- Aidan
http://qpid.apache.org

Posted by Joshua Kramer <jo...@globalherald.net>.
Everyone, the Windows build (Debug and Release Static) is here:

http://www.octoberridge.com/qpid-M4-win-binary-jpk.zip

Can someone please mirror this, so that my DSL line is not saturated?  :)

Thanks,
-Josh

-----
http://www.globalherald.net/jb01
GlobalHerald.NET, the Smarter Social Network! (tm)

Posted by Joshua Kramer <jo...@globalherald.net>.
Yep, I saw those.  Thanks for the advice, Cliff!  I'll grab the requisite
header and recompile.

Posted by Joshua Kramer <jo...@globalherald.net>.

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com>.
> I am planning to build one. I have a few urgent things to resolve
> before that, though. If anyone else has interest, please speak up as
> well.

Hi Steve,

I knew you were busy with some client engagements, I did not volunteer
build one, though. If you feel like you are unable to make it soon,  I
can come up  with a  bin dist. At the same time there is a requirement
to make a solution for samples as well. I can look into that as well.

Danushka

Posted by Joshua Kramer <jo...@globalherald.net>.
Hello Steve,

Will this build in VS 2008?  I will give it a try in a couple of hours.

Cheers,
-Josh

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Carl,

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com>.
> From our users list... does someone want to build the windows binary
> that we post as a use if you like basis.
>
> i.e. we make a volunteer builds section, and post builds based on a
> release as a service outside the
> release process. i.e. builds that people want and volunteer we post.
> thoughts?
IMHO, Windows binary distribution is an integral part of the release
process.

Danushka

site export

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

If the site looks weird, I am hacking on the auto export with help from
Jonathan so far to try get it to look
better, hold off on comments... I'll solicit feedback once I think
progress has been made.

Carl.

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <la...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com>.
> I think something that close to something that is all over google as
> linked to a direct competitor is a Really Bad Idea.

+1.

I think we have two options here.

1. We never say that Qpid is an AMQP implementation. In which case, the
slogan should express some key attributes of AMQP. Therefore something like
"Apache Qpid - Fast, Reliable, Interoperable Enterprise Messaging" would
be nice.

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > Lahiru Gunathilake wrote:

> > Apache Qpid, AMQP Enterprise Messaging that just works.
>
> It's pretty similar to the title of RabbitMQ's tech talk:
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/resources/google-tech-talk-final/google.html

Yes this slogan seems good to me. +1

> - Aidan
>
> --
> Apache Qpid - World Domination through Advanced Message Queueing
> http://qpid.apache.org

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <la...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 6:57 AM, Marnie McCormack <
marnie.mccormack@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Apache Qpid, Enterprise Messaging through AMQP

Short and sweet for me.. :-) +1

Re: Qpid slogan?

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Qpid slogan?