Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/02 02:13:43 UTC

Re: Getting a YourKit License

On Mar 22, 2005 8:05 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <ad...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> Thanks Bruce.  I'm eager to hear what they say.

FWIW, here's the answer from YourKit:

> Can the open source license for YourKit be used by anyone to work on
> the open source project for which it is granted?

we are providing licenses for particular persons involved into OS
project.

> I'm trying to
> determine what is meant by the term 'developers' in the license. Does
> this mean anyone who works on the open source project or does it need
> to be a committer?

there is no any restrictions on person's role in the project. It
might be a dedicated QA person who test quality, or code committer.
In other words 'developer' is person takes part in a OS project and
need a license to perform profiling.

Best regards,
Vladimir Kondratyev
YourKit, LLC

So it would seem that the license is not restricted to only committers
for the project.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: Getting a YourKit License

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 1, 2005 5:47 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <ad...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> So it would seem that the license is not restricted to only committers
> for the project.
>
>  This is great.  I'm pretty familiar w/ the official role of an ASF
> committer.  I wasn't aware that there were others.  How would you distribute
> the licenses to those in the community who want one?

I would recommend that we suggest that each person interested in one
from here on out to do so individually, unless they've got committer
karma. This absolves the ASF from any worries.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: Getting a YourKit License

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@toolazydogs.com>.

Bruce Snyder wrote:

>On Mar 22, 2005 8:05 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <ad...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>

>>Thanks Bruce.  I'm eager to hear what they say.
>>

>FWIW, here's the answer from YourKit:
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

>>Can the open source license for YourKit be used by anyone to work on
>>the open source project for which it is granted?
>>

>we are providing licenses for particular persons involved into OS
>project.
>

>>I'm trying to
>>determine what is meant by the term 'developers' in the license. Does
>>this mean anyone who works on the open source project or does it need
>>to be a committer?
>>

>there is no any restrictions on person's role in the project. It
>might be a dedicated QA person who test quality, or code committer.
>In other words 'developer' is person takes part in a OS project and
>need a license to perform profiling.
>
>Best regards,
>Vladimir Kondratyev
>YourKit, LLC
>
>So it would seem that the license is not restricted to only committers
>for the project.

This is great.  I'm pretty familiar w/ the official role of an ASF
committer.  I wasn't aware that there were others.  How would you
distribute the licenses to those in the community who want one?

Regards,
Alan