Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Alex Valys <av...@MIT.EDU> on 2004/10/19 18:49:15 UTC

Differences Between svnadmin hotcopy, svnadmin dump, and hotbackup.py?

Hi all,
What's the best way to generate a full backup (for archival/recovery
purposes) of a Subversion repository?  It seems to me that there are
three tools/commands that will do the job, but I've had trouble finding
details on the specifics of each:

- svnadmin hotcopy - safely copies the entire repository directory to
another location.
- hotbackup.py - does the same thing as svnadmin hotcopy, as near as I
can tell.
- svnadmin dump - creates a text file dump of the entire contents of
the repository, which can be imported into an empty repository to
restore it.

So, a few questions:
1) What are the differences between svnadmin hotcopy and hotbackup.py?
2) If I want to be assured that my backups can safely be restored on
platforms other than the one they were created on, should I stick with
svnadmin dump?  This in particular is very important - if my SVN server
(Linux-x86-based) fails, I'd like to be able to get another one up and
running on another platform (an Apple XServe, for example) as easily as
possible.
3) Are there any disadvantages to using svnadmin dump, as opposed to
one of the other methods?

Any information/advice would be appreciated,
Alex Valys

Re: Differences Between svnadmin hotcopy, svnadmin dump, and hotbackup.py?

Posted by Ed Swierk <es...@cs.stanford.edu>.
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Alex Valys wrote:

> 1) What are the differences between svnadmin hotcopy and hotbackup.py?

hotbackup.py is simply a wrapper around svnadmin hotcopy.  It does useful
things like creating a new directory for the backup, and deleting old
backups.  Therefore it can be called directly from a cron job.

--Ed

--
Ed Swierk
eswierk@cs.stanford.edu