Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Kirill Yankov <my...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/21 01:48:00 UTC

GSoC application

Hello everyone!

I am Kirill, I am currently a student at the Uni Freiburg, and I want to participate in GSoC.
Apart from being a student, I have several years of experience in Java, and several more in Scala (I worked as a Senior Developer before). I have done some minor and mid-size contributions to other opensource projects (for example Akka) and know how it works.
I have used Camel before (but not much, so I know some general things, not details), and really liked the concept and the project itself. I would like to contribute to the project. I have taken a look at the project proposals for Camel, and would be happy to contribute one or several components (this https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-10173 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-10173>, and/or https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-10652 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-10652>, and/or https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11994 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11994>).

Can you please guide me of what should be the following steps for my application?

Thank you a lot in advance for cooperation!

My linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kirill-yankov-8b0747118/ <https://www.linkedin.com/in/kirill-yankov-8b0747118/>
My github: https://github.com/manonthegithub <https://github.com/manonthegithub>

Kind regards,
Kirill Yankov.

Re: GSoC application

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Kirill,
(make sure you're subscribed to the dev list, I had to approve your
last email from the moderation queue).

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 3:17 AM Kirill Yankov <my...@gmail.com> wrote:
> - Implementing a single component doesn’t seem to be really 3-months project to me (for now I think it may take maybe about a month). So consequently following question appears: how to make a project proposal? Should I take several components? Or what is the best way to come up with proposal and to whom should I send it?

If you think you can take on several components that's very welcome,
bare in mind that each component should also include component
documentation, Spring Boot starter, preferably an example and also
preferably OSGi support. For the OSGi support in particular you might
need to contribute to whichever library you might be using to add the
necessary OSGi metadata, or define a wrapper bundle at
Servicemix/Karaf. Adding OSGi support is not a showstopper, we have
some components that do not have it, but we have users relying on OSGi
and it would be nice to have.

Previous years we discussed the ideas with the students on the dev
mailing list, they noted on the JIRA that they're interested in
working on it -- so that other GSoC students also see. Then the
student prepared a proposal[1] and shared with us on the dev mailing
list for comments. Writing the proposal ahead of time and including
the Camel comitters increases your chances of getting accepted, as we
can assure that all the necessary information is in the proposal
before submission to Google.

> - What is the best way to communicate on a particular issue? In Jira?

The way we usually do it is, for more impactful changes we discuss on
the mailing list, for smaller/not-as-impactful changes we just use the
JIRA comments. We usually also point from JIRA to the mailing list
thread from the mailing list archives.

For example, a new component would be just a few comments on the JIRA,
whereas adding a new reactive engine to Camel-core would start first
as a discussion on the mailing list.

Feel free to ask specific questions if this doesn't cover everything
you were curious about.

Thank you for considering Camel for GSoC :)

zoran

[1] https://google.github.io/gsocguides/student/writing-a-proposal
--
Zoran Regvart

Re: GSoC application

Posted by Kirill Yankov <my...@gmail.com>.
Hello Zoran and others.

I have taken a brief look at the project and its structure. And now have questions about the proposals.

Re: GSoC application

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Kirill,

--