Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Diskin <da...@verizon.net> on 2002/12/31 06:21:15 UTC

Ant Build Script Fails to Invoke Manager with "install" command

Can anyone suggest what's wrong?  As a relative newbie, I've been
modifying and using the example build.xml file provided with the
tomcat-docs.  I am using it from Intellij IDEA.  It's working fine,
except I can't get the install target to work.  The catalina-ant.jar
file has been added to the Build File Properties Additional Classpath in
IDEA's Ant Dialog.

I am getting a http 401 authentication error.  I have provided a
build.properties file in the top level directory and Ant seems to find
it ok.

I see the message:  "Loading c:\Projects\BookClubEmail\build.properties"

Here's the build.properties file:

manager.password="lydlyd"
manager.username="diskind"

Here's the text version of the ANT IDEA Message Window:

install
C:\Projects\BookClubEmail\build.xml:367: java.io.IOException: Server
returned HTTP response code: 401 for URL:
http://localhost:8080/manager/install?path=%2FBookClubEmail&war=file%3A%2F%2FC%3A%5CProjects%5CBookClubEmail%2Fbuild
C:\Projects\BookClubEmail\build.xml:367: java.io.IOException: Server
returned HTTP response code: 401 for URL:
http://localhost:8080/manager/install?path=%2FBookClubEmail&war=file%3A%2F%2FC%3A%5CProjects%5CBookClubEmail%2Fbuild
C:\Projects\BookClubEmail\build.xml:367: java.io.IOException: Server
returned HTTP response code: 401 for URL:
http://localhost:8080/manager/install?path=%2FBookClubEmail&war=file%3A%2F%2FC%3A%5CProjects%5CBookClubEmail%2Fbuild

Build completed with 3 errors. Time: 11 s

Re: Ant Build Script Fails to Invoke Manager with "install" command

Posted by Paul Campbell <se...@halcyon.com>.
Did you update conf/web.xml to add a manager username/password/role?

401 means unathorized access to a password protected page