Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com> on 2011/04/25 17:50:33 UTC

hiding functionality in ofbiz.

In general it is accepted that OFBiz is having too much functionality
which can be really overwhelming.

We are thinking about introducing a user preference in function levels:

for example:
1. beginner
2. intermediate
3. full feature.

The beginner will only see the basic features in the components however
the system will be fully functional.

The intermediate person will see more functions but not everything..

And the full feature will show everything what is there.

Anybody any opinions or thoughts about this?

Regards,
Hans

--
Ofbiz on twitter: http://twitter.com/apache_ofbiz
Myself on twitter: http://twitter.com/hansbak

Re: hiding functionality in ofbiz.

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ma...@librenberry.net>.
Instead of define securityGroup permission and increase the screen's
complexity, a solution will be define new portalPages by level :
  * PartyProfile_Beg
  * PartyProfile_Inter
  * PartyProfile_Full
And associate dedicate screen for all. At nereide we start a conversion
of ofbiz screen to full portlet management (party, order and marketing)
maybe a good reason to go back to see the project ?

Nicolas

--
Nicolas MALIN
Consultant

Re: hiding functionality in ofbiz.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I agree that many application are a hog pog, no business sense to them,
just functionality.
I vote for Roles permissions, with role groups. This way a company can
define  a beginner, to any roles and/or groups they want.

But first I think a definition, of the intutiveness of the UI should be
addressed, which goes against the current thinking of just putting up
functtinoality based on the Enitity layout.

If the business flow is in the UI there won't be much need for hiding
functionality since the more complex functions would be naturally hidden.

So if the permissions are in the menu then you don't have to go down
into the pages, though one can. Just have to have permission on the
pages which has sort of fallen through the cracks.

This should be done at the Menu level as a I suggested many years ago.

Adrian Crum sent the following on 4/26/2011 7:20 AM:

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Thanks Adrian.
IMO, that needed to be said by an insider.
Regards,
Ruth

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Sam Hamilton <sa...@sh81.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
Is it even possible to have a single decision about what would go in each level, or would this tend to vary in different user organizations?

If this were something configurable would it need to be on a screen level, on a form field level, or something even more detailed?

-David

On Apr 25, 2011, at 10:50 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> I like the idea and have already suggested
> http://markmail.org/message/rrre2cslfou32vnp
> http://markmail.org/message/7wzti5asolef5njz)
>
> Also I tend to agree with Ruth: the difficulties is to categorize features before, I begin in French long time ago, never ended... other priorities came along...
> http://www.les7arts.com/assist/OFBiz/Principales%20Caracteristiques%20Fonctionnelles.htm
>
> Jacques
>
> From: "Ruth Hoffman" <rh...@aesolves.com>
>> Hi Hans:
>>
>> IMHO, you would just be adding to the confusion. How does someone know if they are a beginner? And, what are the basic features in each component? Who decides basic vs. full featured?
>>
>> On the other hand, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe this is a good idea. In the process of deciding what is basic and what is "full featured" you will need to do some documenting. At a minimum you will need to record functional capabilities on a component by component level. A much needed addition to the OFBiz community if you ask me!
>>
>> Just my 2 cents.
>> Ruth
>>
>> On 4/25/11 11:50 AM, Hans Bakker wrote:
>>> In general it is accepted that OFBiz is having too much functionality
>>> which can be really overwhelming.
>>>
>>> We are thinking about introducing a user preference in function levels:
>>>
>>> for example:
>>> 1. beginner
>>> 2. intermediate

From: "Ruth Hoffman" <rh...@aesolves.com>

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Hans:

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I included  part of this discussion in my last answer in the "New icons" thread on dev ML, please see my POV there.

In few words, I agree that roles are the best solution at the enterprise level but not for individuals. The old concept of
beginners, intermediate, expert levels is maybe not the right solution as it has not the flexilibity needed. The best would be to
combine the roles and the liability for individual users to chose their own sets of features. For instance as an admin whit all
rights, I may want to not see some components and would like to be able to hide them w/out hiding it for all users (as we can with
the app-bar-display attribute in the webapp element in ofbiz-component.xml). I like how Firefox allows me to add/remove buttons in
the buttons bar for instance.

Jacques

From: "Paul Foxworthy" <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.