Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2011/08/17 20:55:16 UTC

openoffice.org domains transferred to ASF

Dear PPMC: please note that a few days ago Oracle and the ASF signed the
legal agreement to transfer ownership of a variety of ooo related domain
names to the ASF.  Yay!

Along with the other great work on moving content, you need to work with
infrastructure@ to ensure that the actual domain name registration
ownership is transferred to the Apache infrastructure team - at least,
for any domain names that the podling definitely wants to continue using.

The list of domains includes:

http://openoffice.org
http://testopenoffice.org
http://openoffice2009.com
http://openoffice-gratuit.com
http://openoffice-pt.com
http://openoffice-pl.com
http://openoffice-nl.com
http://openoffice-fr.com
http://openoffice09fr.com
http://de-openoffice.org
http://deopenoffice.org
http://www-open-office.org
http://wwwopen-office.org
http://de-openoffice.com
http://deopenoffice.com
http://es-openoffice.com
http://esopenoffice.com
http://fr-openoffice.com
http://fropenoffice.com
http://it-openoffice.com
http://itopenoffice.com
http://en-openoffice.org
http://enopenoffice.org
http://es-openoffice.org
http://esopenoffice.org
http://fr-openoffice.org
http://it-openoffice.org
http://itopenoffice.org
http://nl-openoffice.org
http://nlopenoffice.org
http://openoffice.org.il
http://itopenoffice.org

Reminder: Apache projects normally host all their content on a
*.apache.org domain.  I believe that in ooo's case, the future project
will want to host some content on other, non-a.o domains; however we
should strive to make most of the project be on an Apache site.

- Shane

Re: openoffice.org domains transferred to ASF

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.
Shane Curcuru wrote:
> The list of domains includes: ...
> http://itopenoffice.org
> http://nl-openoffice.org
> http://nlopenoffice.org
> http://openoffice.org.il
> http://itopenoffice.org

Any reasons why http://itopenoffice.org (that seems to be a protective
registration against http://it.openoffice.org misspelling) is listed
twice, at numbers 28 and 32 of the Wiki list? This is not particularly
important, just to check that there isn't a typo somewhere.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: openoffice.org domains transferred to ASF

Posted by Eric Hoch <er...@gmx.de>.
Hi Rob,
Am Wed, 17 Aug 2011 16:00:56 -0400 schrieb Rob Weir:

> Most of these don't appear to have much independent content.  I wonder
> whether something like this would be more maintainable going forward,
> to have a destination page for each language:
>
> Assuming our eventual TLP home is:  http://openoffice.apache.org, then
> we could have:
>
> http://openoffice.apache.org/de
> http://openoffice.apache.org/es
> http://openoffice.apache.org/pl
> http://openoffice.apache.org/it
>
> and so on.

+1

> Then have the existing domain names redirect to these.
>
> Alternatively, we could do this via openoffice.org addresses:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/de
> http://www.openoffice.org/es
> http://www.openoffice.org/pl
> http://www.openoffice.org/it
>
> or even via subdomains:
>
> http://de.openoffice.org/
> http://es.openoffice.org/
> http://pl.openoffice.orgl
> http://it.openoffice.org/

I would prefer this solution over the above one if we relay on the
openoffice.org domain and not choose to use
openoffice.apache.org/<locale>

> But I think this all leads back to the same basic question:  Do we
> want users to have a different home page than project volunteers?  I
> think so.

Why shouldn't we. We've had great success with our
de.openoffice.org website were we had two separate channels one for
end-users and one for project volunteers. At the beginning of
OpenOffice.org I noticed that a lot of volunteers, including
myself, started out with a question on an end-user mailinglist,
stuck around there for a while, subscribing to the dev-mailinglist
and so on and all that could be done without or a very basic and
low level of English. This gives a project a boost if it can serve
it's core products and services around it in the native language.
I'd also say that imo the willingness to help as a volunteer is a
bit higher if you have informations in your native tongue then in a
foreign language you may not be that familiar with. The
informations for project volunteers needn't be as detailed as on
the international apache project website but they should be allowed
for each native language community and to their extend how much
information for developers and project volunteers they want to
present on their native language homepage.

This may be different to other Apache project but OOo as and
end-user focused software is indeed different to the other Apache
projects. Most other Apache projects are from it-interests for
other it-interests. OOo is from it-interests for end-users and
end-users here ideally become contributors and project volunteers
but the smallest amount of them become coders.

>But we can still do that page via markdown, stored in SVN.
> The question is only what domain names we direct to those pages.

I would redirect de.openoffice.org to openoffice.apache.org/de or
leave it as it is.

Eric

--
## de.OpenOffice.org - Office für MacOS X, Linux, Solaris & Windows
## Openoffice.org - ich steck mit drin!

Re: openoffice.org domains transferred to ASF

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

> It is not unusual to have subdomains map to folders.
>
> That is, you might maintain http://openoffice.org/de
>
> and have http://de.openoffice.org map to it.  Even if someone
> navigated to the former, it might appear to have redirected to the
> second case.  (Try going to<http://nfocentrale.com/nfoWorks>.)
>
> My impression is that even works for add-on domains.  You could map
> http://deopenoffice.org to that subdomain which is actually anchored
> on a folder of the overall web-site tree.

Yes...and I think this is a good approach (see also Dave's followup). Why?

We need to again consider implementation aspects.

using http://openoffice.org/de

as an actual "location" entity gives more flexibility.

> [...]
> ones I own such as orcmid.com, odma.info, nfoWorks.org, etc.)
>
> - Dennis
>
> PS: Technically, you could even have http://ooo.apache.org and
> http://openoffice.org served from the same pages, though I think that
> is not such a hot idea, especially at the outset.
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Marcus (OOo)
> [mailto:marcus.mail@wtnet.de] Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 13:41
> To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org Subject: Re: openoffice.org domains
> transferred to ASF
>
> Am 08/17/2011 10:00 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Shane
>> Curcuru<as...@shanecurcuru.org>   wrote:
> [ ... ]
>> Most of these don't appear to have much independent content.  I
>> wonder whether something like this would be more maintainable going
>> forward, to have a destination page for each language:
>>
>> Assuming our eventual TLP home is:  http://openoffice.apache.org,
>> then we could have:
>>
>> http://openoffice.apache.org/de http://openoffice.apache.org/es
>> http://openoffice.apache.org/pl http://openoffice.apache.org/it
>>
>> and so on.
>>
>> Then have the existing domain names redirect to these.
>
> Yes, should be a good way to have one home that we have to maintain
> but some redirects when a user has spelled the domain name not 100%
> correctly.
>
>> Alternatively, we could do this via openoffice.org addresses:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/de http://www.openoffice.org/es
>> http://www.openoffice.org/pl http://www.openoffice.org/it
>>
>> or even via subdomains:
>>
>> http://de.openoffice.org/ http://es.openoffice.org/
>> http://pl.openoffice.orgl http://it.openoffice.org/
>>
>> Any committer should be able to add a new language at
>> http://www.openoffice.org/foo, but wouldn't adding a new subdomain
>> require working with Apache Infra.  Or is there some magic we can
>> do
>
> My favorite way would be the [language].openoffice.org pattern as it
> looks better and more professional.
>
> However, if it is way easier maintainance to have the
> www.openoffice.org/[language] pattern, then we should go this way.
>
>> with Apache server to make these map automatically via a rule?
>>
>> But I think this all leads back to the same basic question:  Do we
>> want users to have a different home page than project volunteers?
>> I think so.  But we can still do that page via markdown, stored in
>> SVN.
>
> I haven't seen other voices in the past. So I think it is agreed in
> the meantime.
>
> Marcus
>

>> The question is only what domain names we direct to those pages.
>>

>>> Reminder: Apache projects normally host all their content on a
>>> *.apache.org domain.  I believe that in ooo's case, the future
>>> project will want to host some content on other, non-a.o domains;
>>> however we should strive to make most of the project be on an

MzK

"Those who love deeply never grow old;
  they may die of old age, but they die young."
                         -- Sir Arthur Pinero

RE: openoffice.org domains transferred to ASF

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Dave Fisher wrote:

> Some have no dns or the DNS is non-functional
>   openoffice2009.com
>   openoffice-gratuit.com
>   openoffice-pt.com
>   openoffice-pl.com
>   openoffice-nl.com
>   openoffice-fr.com
>   openoffice09fr.com
>
> Have these Authoritative servers.
>      NS63.1AND1.ES
>      NS64.1AND1.ES
>
> openoffice2009.com expires tomorrow, others of the above are soon.

At least two of these where done to prevent fraud with the OOo brand.  I
know that the 2009 site was reported several times for misrepresenting
as an official OOo site.  I believe that the 09fr site was as well.  My
understanding is the it was easier to buy the domain from the owners
than take it to court or ICAN to resolve.  If I am wrong someone in the
know please correct me.

Andy

Re: openoffice.org domains transferred to ASF

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Most point to www.oracle.com.

Some have no dns or the DNS is non-functional
 openoffice2009.com
 openoffice-gratuit.com
 openoffice-pt.com
 openoffice-pl.com
 openoffice-nl.com
 openoffice-fr.com
 openoffice09fr.com

Have these Authoritative servers.
    NS63.1AND1.ES
    NS64.1AND1.ES

openoffice2009.com expires tomorrow, others of the above are soon.

openoffice.org.il is in Hebrew and is the Israeli community.

fropenoffice.com is on a "search" server that seems wrong to me.
http://sedoparking.com/search/registrar.php?domain=fropenoffice.com&registrar=sedopark

Authoritative servers:
   NS2.NLPDNS.COM
   NS1.NLPDNS.COM

All registration is with TuCows.

The only real site or expectations that must be considered is openoffice.org.il - all of the others can be redirected to www.openoffice.org until we have a better place.

The more immediate choice is what registrations to transfer and which should be dropped.

>  I wonder
> whether something like this would be more maintainable going forward,
> to have a destination page for each language:
>
> Assuming our eventual TLP home is:  http://openoffice.apache.org, then
> we could have:
>
> http://openoffice.apache.org/de
> http://openoffice.apache.org/es
> http://openoffice.apache.org/pl
> http://openoffice.apache.org/it
>
> and so on.
>
> Then have the existing domain names redirect to these.
>
> Alternatively, we could do this via openoffice.org addresses:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/de
> http://www.openoffice.org/es
> http://www.openoffice.org/pl
> http://www.openoffice.org/it
>
> or even via subdomains:
>
> http://de.openoffice.org/
> http://es.openoffice.org/
> http://pl.openoffice.orgl
> http://it.openoffice.org/
>
> Any committer should be able to add a new language at
> http://www.openoffice.org/foo, but wouldn't adding a new subdomain
> require working with Apache Infra.  Or is there some magic we can do
> with Apache server to make these map automatically via a rule?

How we handle openoffice.org and the subdomains is a real question.

Redirecting de.openoffice.org to www.openoffice.org/de would be the best thing.

Seems like something for httpd.conf and mod_rewrite.

> But I think this all leads back to the same basic question:  Do we
> want users to have a different home page than project volunteers?  I
> think so.  But we can still do that page via markdown, stored in SVN.
> The question is only what domain names we direct to those pages.
>

>> Reminder: Apache projects normally host all their content on a *.apache.org
>> domain.  I believe that in ooo's case, the future project will want to host
>> some content on other, non-a.o domains; however we should strive to make
>> most of the project be on an Apache site.

The approach I am taking with the openoffice.org content is to defer that decision as long as possible.

I think we are nearly ready to define the problem for infrastructure.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.
The transfer of the openoffice.org domain is in process.  I am currently
working with infrastructure to get this transferred (and it has a JIRA
ticket).
(There is no current process for the other 'side' domains)
Andrew

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 08/17/2011 09:09 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:
> Thanks Shane!

Yes, thank you!

> On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:55 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
>
>> Dear PPMC: please note that a few days ago Oracle and the ASF signed the legal agreement to transfer ownership of a variety of ooo related domain names to the ASF.  Yay!
>>
>> Along with the other great work on moving content, you need to work with infrastructure@ to ensure that the actual domain name registration ownership is transferred to the Apache infrastructure team - at least, for any domain names that the podling definitely wants to continue using.
>>
>> The list of domains includes:
>
> I've put the list on the CWiki here - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Current+Roster+of+OpenOffice+Domains

Ah, you were faster. ;-)
I've added a little todo list.

> Regards,
> Dave
>

>> http://openoffice.org
>> http://testopenoffice.org
>> http://openoffice2009.com
>> http://openoffice-gratuit.com
>> http://openoffice-pt.com
>> http://openoffice-pl.com
>> http://openoffice-nl.com
>> http://openoffice-fr.com
>> http://openoffice09fr.com
>> http://de-openoffice.org
>> http://deopenoffice.org
>> http://www-open-office.org
>> http://wwwopen-office.org
>> http://de-openoffice.com
>> http://deopenoffice.com
>> http://es-openoffice.com
>> http://esopenoffice.com
>> http://fr-openoffice.com
>> http://fropenoffice.com
>> http://it-openoffice.com
>> http://itopenoffice.com
>> http://en-openoffice.org
>> http://enopenoffice.org
>> http://es-openoffice.org
>> http://esopenoffice.org
>> http://fr-openoffice.org
>> http://it-openoffice.org
>> http://itopenoffice.org
>> http://nl-openoffice.org
>> http://nlopenoffice.org
>> http://openoffice.org.il
>> http://itopenoffice.org
>>
>> Reminder: Apache projects normally host all their content on a *.apache.org domain.  I believe that in ooo's case, the future project will want to host some content on other, non-a.o domains; however we should strive to make most of the project be on an Apache site.
>>
>> - Shane

Yes, putting the developer part to "openoffice.apache.org" and the user
part to "*.openoffice.org".

Marcus

Re: openoffice.org domains transferred to ASF

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Thanks Shane!

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Thanks.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Michael Stahl <ms...@openoffice.org> wrote:
> presumably that is covered by http://openoffice.org, as it is a sub-domain?
Good.  If it covers all domains written in the following wiki page, I am happy.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OpenOffice+Domains
:)

Thanks,
khirano

Re: openoffice.org domains transferred to ASF

Posted by Michael Stahl <ms...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
That is the exact list that Oracle agreed to transfer to the ASF.  If
there are other domains that are related to openoffice.org content, do
we need to check with an Oracle contact to see if they were missed by
mistake or something?

Note that in terms of domain registration, we presumably only need the
TLDs transferred with registrars, and any subdomains we can have
infrastructure organize appropriately.

Or am I missing something?

- Shane

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.