Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Niranjan Rao <nh...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/19 20:14:35 UTC

Looking for best practice guidance to avoid duplication

Hi there,

I am looking for a best (and/or correct) way  to avoid duplication of
cargo declarations when using multiple servers, but same set of
applications. Only thing that changes is destination server and it's
password.

Current scenario

One master pom, lot of modules. Web applications scattered in the
hierarchy depending upon some criterion such as internal/external
Multiple branches
One jenkins build per branch.
One deployer module for deploying all the web applications. This was
done so that all deployment information is defined only at one location.
Jenkins build has cargo deploy command set with profile information to
deploy to right server with right password.

So far this worked for us as we had only one target server for each
profile/branch. Each profile defines it's own target server and everyone
was happy.

Now we have additional requirement where we need to deploy web
applications two or more servers  for certain profiles only. I am
looking for a best way where I can minimize the duplication and still
deploy to variable number of servers as part of jenkins build. Ideal way
for me is to define deployment definition only at one location and set
the deployment parameters using profiles. In short I am looking for
something where I can call cargo deployer  like a function and use same
settings except destination urls and passwords which are defined by the
profile.

I am considering following - not sure if any of these will work

1. Set jenkins build to use two profiles which define it's own target
servers.
2. Somehow call another maven project and pass the destination
information as parameter
3. Call shell script that will deploy to destination server

My choices might be worst and hence looking for best practices to
achieve what I want to do. As I said I am trying to avoid profile
specific duplication of cargo except the things that really need to be
separate.

Thanks,

Niranjan

Re: Looking for best practice guidance to avoid duplication

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> I am looking for a best (and/or correct) way  to avoid duplication of cargo
> declarations when using multiple servers, but same set of applications. Only
> thing that changes is destination server and it's password.
> profiles. In short I am looking for something where I can call cargo
> deployer  like a function and use same settings except destination urls and
> passwords which are defined by the profile.

I'm unsure why you're asking here when the Cargo project has its own
lists and your question seems very specific to Cargo (and Jenkins).
http://cargo.996258.n3.nabble.com/User-f3.html

You may need to think out of the box and invent some of your own
tooling if existing solutions will not address your specific needs.

Wayne