Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by "Kito D. Mann" <km...@virtua.com> on 2005/03/03 22:45:39 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] New "In the Trenches" article

In the Trenches is a new JSF Central series about real world projects that
use JavaServer Faces. The latest article looks at how Global Apparel
Network BV migrated an existing application from Struts and Hibernate to
JSF, JDO, and Magnolia. They have since standardized on JSF as the corner
stone of their new web development projects.

Excerpt:

Senior Developer Dave Sag and his team at Global Apparel Network BV decided
to get their feet wet with JavaServer Faces (JSF) by migrating an internal
customer support tool from Struts. "We wanted a small and simple, real
project to prototype JSF, having worked with Struts for years and built
v1.0...with Struts. We migrated from Hibernate to JDO (Java Data Objects)
at the same time, so that was interesting too." Instead of migrating from
Struts incrementally using the Struts-Faces integration library, the team
chose to migrate the whole application at once. Even though Sag believes
there are a few things Struts makes easier, overall he found JSF to be
simpler and more robust. The main mental hurdle for the team was thinking
in terms of JSF events instead of Struts Actions.

For the full story, see: http://www.jsfcentral.com/trenches/trenches_2.html.

Kito D. Mann (kmann@virtua.com)
Virtua, Inc. (phone: 203-323-1244  fax: 203-323-2363)
Author, JavaServer Faces in Action
(<http://www.manning.com/mann/index.html>http://www.manning.com/mann/index.html)
http://www.JSFCentral.com - JavaServer Faces FAQ, news, and info

"Existence doesn't necessarily mean living..."

Re: [ANNOUNCE] New "In the Trenches" article

Posted by "Kito D. Mann" <km...@virtua.com>.
At 10:31 PM 3/3/2005, you wrote:
>Nice article Kito.  I love the concept of the series as well.  I think
>its great to promote real world JSF success stories - well hopefully
>they will all be success stories ;-)  Its also interesting to read
>about some of the issues that come up for various projects, how they
>solved them and most importantly, their reasoning behind their
>decisions.

Thanks, Sean. That's definitely the intention -- give a taste of what
people are really doing, and what's really going on.

>sean
>
>ps. I'm almost finished your excellent book.  There are now several
>great JSF books out there.  That should help move JSF along too!

Thanks! I think I can speak for the other JSF authors when I say we were
hoping to have that effect :-).

Posted by "Kito D. Mann" <km...@virtua.com>.
At 09:06 AM 3/4/2005, you wrote:
>I'm going to talk with my leads and see if we can write something up
>about our successes with JSF.
>
>I really wish this wasn't a private project.  I guess its just natural
>to want to show off what you've done with your life for the past 9
>months.

Heath, if you do get approval, please send an e-mail to
trenches@jsfcentral.com. Thanks!

Posted by Heath Borders <he...@gmail.com>.

--
-Heath Borders-Wing
hborders@mail.win.org

Re: [ANNOUNCE] New "In the Trenches" article

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.