Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Patrick Lucas <pa...@ververica.com> on 2020/02/07 14:25:35 UTC

[DISCUSS] FLINK-15831: Add Docker image publication to release documentation

Hi all,

For FLINK-15831[1], I think the way to start is for the flink-docker
repo[2] itself to sufficiently document the workflow for publishing new
Dockerfiles, and then update the Flink release guide in the wiki to refer
to this documentation and to include this step in the "Finalize the
release" checklist.

To the first point, I have opened a PR[3] on flink-docker to improve its
documentation.

And for updating the release guide, I propose the following changes:

1. Add a new subsection to "Finalize the release", prior to "Checklist to
proceed to the next step" with the following content:

Publish the Dockerfiles for the new release

> Note: the official Dockerfiles fetch the binary distribution of the target
> Flink version from an Apache mirror. After publishing the binary release
> artifacts, mirrors can take some hours to start serving the new artifacts,
> so you may want to wait to do this step until you are ready to continue
> with the "Promote the release" steps below.
>
> Follow the instructions in the [flink-docker] repo to build the new
> Dockerfiles and send an updated manifest to Docker Hub so the new images
> are built and published.

2. Add an entry to the "Checklist to proceed to the next step" subsection
of "Finalize the release":

>    - Dockerfiles in flink-docker updated for the new Flink release and
>    pull request opened on the Docker official-images with an updated manifest
>
> Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions to improve
this proposal.

Thanks,
Patrick

[1]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-15831
[2]https://github.com/apache/flink-docker
[3]https://github.com/apache/flink-docker/pull/5

Re: [DISCUSS] FLINK-15831: Add Docker image publication to release documentation

Posted by Patrick Lucas <pa...@ververica.com>.
Thanks, Chesnay.

I've updated the release guide
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Creating+a+Flink+Release>