Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Osma Suominen <os...@aalto.fi> on 2012/11/02 11:34:46 UTC

Re: Fueski with Larq - query anomaly

Hi Elli!

[apparently your reply didn't come through the mailing list, but this
one should]

31.10.2012 23:11, Elli Schwarz kirjoitti:
> Thank you for the tip. Yes, if I generate the index using the
> larqbuilder command, I don't get the duplicates in the query, regardless
> of the placement of the pf:testMatch line. (As an aside, why does the
> default behavior of creating the index allow duplicates, but the default
> of the larqbuilder command does not?)

Good to hear that eliminating duplicates works for you. I have no idea
why the defaults are as they are.

> However, switching the order of where I place the pf:textMatch line
> (while it may slow down the query), should not produce different
> results, even if there are duplicates in the index. This would appear to
> be a bug in how Larq applies the results of the index lookup to the query.

I'm not sure whether getting or not getting duplicates in specific
situations can be considered a bug. But yes, the implementation of LARQ
seems to be rather simplistic. It might help if the raw index results
were filtered to weed out duplicates before applying them to the query.
Then the choice whether to try to avoid duplicates during indexing would
only be an optimization issue.

BTW I'm not (so far) a LARQ developer, just a fellow user..

-Osma

--
Osma Suominen | Osma.Suominen@aalto.fi | +358 40 5255 882

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@gmail.com>.
On 16/11/12 22:20, Paolo Castagna wrote:
> Elli, could you provide an example with some data and your query?

Apologies Elli, I now have found your example. ;-)

Paolo

Re: Fueski with Larq - query anomaly

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi Osma, hi Elli

On 02/11/12 10:34, Osma Suominen wrote:
> Hi Elli!
>
> [apparently your reply didn't come through the mailing list, but this
> one should]
>
> 31.10.2012 23:11, Elli Schwarz kirjoitti:
>> Thank you for the tip. Yes, if I generate the index using the
>> larqbuilder command, I don't get the duplicates in the query, regardless
>> of the placement of the pf:testMatch line. (As an aside, why does the
>> default behavior of creating the index allow duplicates, but the default
>> of the larqbuilder command does not?)
>
> Good to hear that eliminating duplicates works for you. I have no idea
> why the defaults are as they are.

LARQ index 'text' --> RDF nodes, see in IndexBuilderNode.java:

     public void index(Node node, String indexStr)
     {
         try {
         	if ( avoidDuplicates() ) unindex(node, indexStr);
             Document doc = new Document() ;
             LARQ.store(doc, node) ;
             LARQ.index(doc, node, indexStr) ;
             getIndexWriter().addDocument(doc) ;
         } catch (IOException ex)
         { throw new ARQLuceneException("index", ex) ; }
     }

avoidDuplicates() by default returns 'true' and by default we want to
avoid duplicates and make the Lucene index smaller.

if ( avoidDuplicates() ) unindex(node, indexStr); is 'ugly' and
inefficient, but it is done to avoid having useless documents in the
Lucene index, as you might have exactly the same RDF node/literal used
in many triples.

I am open to better suggestions to make this better or faster.

>> However, switching the order of where I place the pf:textMatch line
>> (while it may slow down the query), should not produce different
>> results, even if there are duplicates in the index. This would appear to
>> be a bug in how Larq applies the results of the index lookup to the
>> query.

Elli, could you provide an example with some data and your query?

> I'm not sure whether getting or not getting duplicates in specific
> situations can be considered a bug. But yes, the implementation of LARQ
> seems to be rather simplistic. It might help if the raw index results
> were filtered to weed out duplicates before applying them to the query.

How could we do this?

> Then the choice whether to try to avoid duplicates during indexing would
> only be an optimization issue.
>
> BTW I'm not (so far) a LARQ developer, just a fellow user..

But you could help out with LARQ (if you are using it!).
Patches are always welcome expecially from fellow users! ;-)

By the way, many thanks for the documentation on how to use LARQ with
Fuseki. Very useful (and it will save me time... I can just point people
to your page from now on).

Paolo