Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Hans Bakker <h....@antwebsystems.com> on 2009/01/22 04:34:41 UTC

content references

Hi David,

now i am on the content subject, i expect that a contentId will be
connected to many more possible main entities so any incoming paper
document can be scanned and connected to the related entity.

At the moment it is WorkEffort, party, order, partyResume, product,
communication event, customer request,

but it could also be connected to invoice, payment, agreement, budget,
fixedAsset, productCatalog, productFacility, return, shipment, supplier,
supplierProduct, tax entities, timesheet and more.

Is it perhaps more flexible to have a more generalized entity such as:
contentId, entityName, entityKey so we can connect any content to any
entity?

what are your thoughts on that?

--
http://www.antwebsystems.com :
Quality OFBiz support for competitive rates....

Re: content references

Posted by Al Byers <by...@automationgroups.com>.
Hans,

One possible advantage to doing things in the manner that you described is
the ability to design a single permission system that could be used in
different situations. Many times the entity to which content is associated
is part of a hierarchical tree - organizations(parties), workeffort (project
levels), etc. Permissions can be governed by assigning PartyRoles to these
entities (Admin, Supervisor, Foreman, etc.) Permission roles could also be
attached to the content, as wll (ie. Owner, Reviewer, etc.)

A permission system could first check the content to see if the "user" has
any role associated with it and then applying that role to a permission
checking table (ex. ContentPurposeOperation). If there is no grant there,
then a bridge would need to be made to the governing tree (that is where
your generic structure could possibly be used) and then that structure could
be followed up to see if the user has a role at any level that would permit
them to manage the content. The current CMS permission scheme is
hierarchical, but it is not tied to another entity structure. I recently
implemented such a scheme in which permission to manage content and tests
was granted at different levels in a school organization.

I realize that that is vague, but I think sometimes it is worth throwing out
imperfect ideas in the hopes that the community may be able to do something
with it. There have been those that say that such a permission scheme is too
complicated, and that may be true (or they just may need more brain food :0)
I just think that there are lots of situations in which permissions are
architected hierarchically and maybe it is not just content that we manage
that way.

-Al

Re: content references

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.