Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/04/21 23:03:53 UTC

[proposal] community@avalon.apache.org

I would like to propose that we create a new email list:

   community@avalon.apache.org

The new list would address topics that are non-technical - such as the
focus on development subjects.

Stephen.

Re: [proposal] community@avalon.apache.org

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> I would like to propose that we create a new email list:
>
>   community@avalon.apache.org
>
> The new list would address topics that are non-technical - such as the
> focus on development subjects.
>
> Stephen.

We also have the #ApacheAvalon IRC channel on irc.freenode.net

jaaron

Re: [proposal] community@avalon.apache.org

Posted by Timothy Bennett <ex...@comcast.net>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> I would like to propose that we create a new email list:
>
>   community@avalon.apache.org
>
> The new list would address topics that are non-technical - such as the
> focus on development subjects.
>
> Stephen.

-1

I don't think anyone really likes these non-technical discussions, and
in some cases are embarrassing and unfortunate for the
community-at-large to have to suffer through.

However, suffer through them we must in order to sort out these
important non-technical issues that establish (re-establish?) unity and
continuity within the project and community.  I think the negative
feedback and *black-eye* that we receive by dragging out our dirty
laundry on the dev@ list is a necessary motivation that will push us to
resolution -- in a distant "cousin" sort of way that the pain of
casualties eventually motivate nations to choose peace over war.

Re: [proposal] community@avalon.apache.org

Posted by Nader Aeinehchi <na...@aeinehchi.com>.
Stephan,

Please do so!

Best Regards

--
Nader Aeinehchi
Aasenhagen 66 E

Posted by Shash Chatterjee <sh...@badfw.org>.
> I would like to propose that we create a new email list:
>
>   community@avalon.apache.org
>
> The new list would address topics that are non-technical - such as the
> focus on development subjects.

I think this is a bad idea, and here's why.  Even though the email alias
will be called "community" the net result will be that most of the
community will not subscribe to it, and therefore the "community" at
large will not really participate in any of the discussions.  Why will
the community not participate in it?  For the very reason there are
calls to move this discussion from the developer list to somewhere else.
Nobody wants to spend voluntary time on OSS projects on anything but
technical discussions.  The real issue that needs to be resolved is why
Avalon has, unlike most OSS projects, so much non-technical discussion
(argumentation?)?

But what will be will be....I won't add any more to this non-technical
thread :-)

Shash

Re: [proposal] community@avalon.apache.org

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Not an official "-1" as that would be a veto, but I don't think this is
a good idea.
Too much discussion is already hidden over in the PMC list and
discussions like
the discussion about how to transfer control of Fortress are important
to users
and should thus be out in the open.  We already break out the dev vs
users list.
These discussions are development issues and should remain here IMO.

Cheers,
Leif

Posted by Andreas Oberhack <de...@softwarefabrik.biz>.

> I would like to propose that we create a new email list:
>
>    community@avalon.apache.org

+1! Please

Andreas

RE: [proposal] community@avalon.apache.org