Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Jon Cline - Enthusiast, Inc." <jc...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/22 00:04:03 UTC

Newbie: Deploy Updates

Hello there,

I am using Tomcat 5.0.28 and deploying websites each as a webapp:

i.e.

/www_enthusiastinc_com
     WEB-INF/web.xml
     images/
     components/
     index.jsp

If I have an update to a few files within the webapp, I am trying to
deploy those updates without having to manually migrate any binary
files the customer may have uploaded to their site.

I have read the deployer HOWTO and it seems like I should be able to
drop in a WAR with the additional/updated files and they should get
transferred to the existing webapp.

What is actually happening is that the original webapp is getting
deleted and then the WAR file is exploded, thus losing any binary
files the customer may have uploaded since the first deployment.

Here is my server.xml file:

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
  <GlobalNamingResources>
    <!-- Used by Manager webapp -->
              type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
      description="User database that can be updated and saved">
    </Resource>
    <ResourceParams name="UserDatabase">
      <parameter>
        <name>factory</name>
        <value>org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
        <name>pathname</name>
        <value>conf/tomcat-users.xml</value>
      </parameter>
    </ResourceParams>
  </GlobalNamingResources>

  <Service name="Catalina">
    <Connector port="8080" />

    <!-- This is here for compatibility only, not required -->
    <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" />

	<Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger" />

             resourceName="UserDatabase" />
	<!-- localhost -->
        <Host name="localhost" debug="1" appBase="webapps"
                unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">

                <Context path="" docBase="" debug="1"/>

		<!-- manager webapp -->
		<Context path="/manager" debug="0" privileged="true"
		docBase="C:\Apache\Tomcat 5.0\server\webapps\manager"/>

                 directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
                 pattern="common" resolveHosts="false"/>

        </Host>

      <!-- BEGIN ENTHUSIAST ENTRIES -->
	<!-- www.enthusiastinc.com -->
	<Host name="www.enthusiastinc.com" debug="1" appBase="webapps"
unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
		<Context path="" docBase="www_enthusiastinc_com" debug="10" />
	</Host>
    <!-- END ENTHUSIAST ENTRIES -->

    </Engine>
  </Service>