Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Srikanth Ankem <as...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/29 18:44:22 UTC

Information on using non-SVN directory

Hi,

I need way of using SVN folder content to non-svn folder.

I am using SVN for development environment and then moving the data from SVN
to non-snv directory. Non-svn directory is being used for web html-dir.

Currently I am using SVN export option and then rsync to html-dir.

Only issue with this process is, we are exporting all the files every time.
But I want to export only changed files from SVN to non-svn dir.

Is there any better way to do this?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Srikanth

Re: Information on using non-SVN directory

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Srikanth Ankem <as...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need way of using SVN folder content to non-svn folder.
>

> I am using SVN for development environment and then moving the data from SVN
> to non-snv directory. Non-svn directory is being used for web html-dir.
>
> Currently I am using SVN export option and then rsync to html-dir.
>

> Only issue with this process is, we are exporting all the files every time.
> But I want to export only changed files from SVN to non-svn dir.
>

> Is there any better way to do this?
>
> Any help is appreciated.

You could use a regular checkout/update instead of export for the
staging copy and the '-C' option to rsync, which is basically a list
of excludes that will skip the svn metadata.   But look at what -C
actually does - if it isn't exactly the right exclude list you can
supply your own.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Information on using non-SVN directory

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Srikanth Ankem <as...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply.
> > But rsync does export only the changes file, it does copy all the files.
> > Because SVN creates new version after the update (after checkin).
> Because of
> > this reason rsync is exporting all the files.
>
> Rsync -v may 'say' it is copying a file whose timestamp has changed,
> but it will really only update the timestamp change if the content
> already matches.  That is, it will only copy the differences in
> content (which is the whole point of using it...).

If necessary, you can also tell rsync to ignore time-stamps.

Re: Information on using non-SVN directory

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Srikanth Ankem <as...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply.

On Feb 29, 2012, at 11:44, Srikanth Ankem wrote:

> I need way of using SVN folder content to non-svn folder.
>
> I am using SVN for development environment and then moving the data from
SVN to non-snv directory. Non-svn directory is being used for web html-dir.
> Currently I am using SVN export option and then rsync to html-dir.
>
> Only issue with this process is, we are exporting all the files every
time. But I want to export only changed files from SVN to non-svn dir.

> Is there any better way to do this?

It sounds like the way you're doing it is fine. The export will only require
a bit of disk IO; the rsync to the web server will transfer only the
differences.

You did not say whether you are exporting from the repository or from a
working copy. If you are exporting from the repository, then instead getting
a working copy, updating it, and exporting from that will be faster.

Re: Information on using non-SVN directory

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.