Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Christopher Hicks <ch...@chicks.net> on 2003/04/27 19:45:30 UTC

[mp2] Updated Apache::Dynagzip and Apache::AuthDBI?

Has anyone built updated Apache::Dynagzip and Apache::AuthDBI for mp2?
I've gotten my application stable with mp2 (yay!) and these are the only
two things I've not gotten entirely straight.  (Rolling my own rpms for
httpd and mod_perl helped things be vastly less broken.  Thanks for all
the previous help.)

I'm willing to attempt to tackle porting these myself, but if somebody
already has or is in progress I don't want to step on their toes.

I have gotten AuthDBI working with Apache::compat and the patches from the
mailing list.  Getting it working without Apache::compat and having
something that's installable without having to patch every time would be
nice.  I've been in the guts of this enough and perused the porting docs
so I don't think it would be too painful to take care of this myself.

I'm not married to Apache::Dynagzip, but I'd really like to get some
dynamic compression solution in place to help with bandwidth and app
responsiveness.  I have read the docs plus Geoffrey Young's recent
article, and I'm still a bit intimidated by what it would take to make
this happy.  My other motivations may override that, but I'm really hoping
somebody has already taken a whack at this and I can help debug/test.  :)

--
</chris>

The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush. It
will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment.
-Robert Maynard Hutchins, educator (1899-1977)

Re: [mp2] Updated Apache::Dynagzip and Apache::AuthDBI?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Slava Bizyayev wrote:
[...]
> BTW, it would be of my interest to know if anyone tried Apache::Dynagzip
> with Apache::compat on Apache-2? Please let me know.

I'd suggest not to waste time trying to make it work with Apache::compat,
because modules like Apache::Dynagzip should be rewritten as filters to be
efficient and cooperate with other filters (not necessarily mod_perl ones). It
requires an architecture change, not simply adjusting for the changed API.
mod_perl 2.0 are well documented (including numerous examples) here:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/filters.html

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/04/17/filters.html

Re: [mp2] Updated Apache::Dynagzip and Apache::AuthDBI?

Posted by Slava Bizyayev <sb...@outlook.net>.
Hi Chris,

Thank you for a good question. Concerning Apache::Dynagzip, it is on its
way to Apache-2 (not that fast yet).

Definitely, Apache::Dynagzip is the most advanced compression handler for
Apache-1.3 to date. It serves both HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1, it successfully
provides compression on SSL even for M$IE, it has the most advanced set of
options, and it is quite stable: During the last 3 months I have no any
bug reports and/or concerns from the users, especially since the release
of Apache::CompressClientFixup to the CPAN (see
http://search.cpan.org/author/SLAVA/).

To the best of my knowledge, Apache-2 is currently equipped with HTTP/1.1
compatible mod_deflate, which can serve as a content filter and could be
easily combined with other (light) compression filters. Indeed, the brand
new Apache::Dynagzip is supposed to provide some (significantly) better
compression ratio for Apache-2 users in combination with better
performance.

I would currently refrain from premature discussions about future features
of Apache::Dynagzip for Apache-2. Please, be a bit patient: I'm going to
come up with the rfc to the list by the fall. ;-)

BTW, it would be of my interest to know if anyone tried Apache::Dynagzip
with Apache::compat on Apache-2? Please let me know. And the last
question: What article of Geoffrey Young did you mention?

Thanks,
Slava