Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andrew Gaydenko <a...@gaydenko.com> on 2008/06/06 19:58:21 UTC

[users@httpd] pipelining in real world

Can anybody roughly estimate the fraction of http transactions with
pipelining (and persistent, but without pipelining) among all transactions
which take place everyday in the world?

Re: [users@httpd] pipelining in real world

Posted by Andrew Gaydenko <a...@gaydenko.com>.
If it possible - slightly another question related to current reality is: do
modern browsers use socket half-close?

Re: [users@httpd] pipelining in real world

Posted by Andrew Gaydenko <a...@gaydenko.com>.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Http_pipelining

Re: [users@httpd] pipelining in real world

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Andrew Gaydenko <a...@gaydenko.com>.

Joshua Slive-2 wrote:

> Why do you want this information?

Just learning http protocol and have not found a literature reflecting
current situation (last related books were published 5-6 years ago). I hope,
it isn't surprisingly I have decided the apache community must be most
informed :-)

Joshua Slive-2 wrote:

> Anyway, the answer is relatively simple if you are talking about
> ordinary web browsers: essentially all modern web browsers do
> persistent connections, and no major web browsers currently enable
> pipelining (by default; and very few people change this). So the
> answer is near 0% for pipelining and near 100% for persistent
> connections.
>
> Things get a lot more complicated if you add proxies, robots, and
> programmatic uses of HTTP into the mix. I don't have any numbers on
> that.

Joshua, thanks!!

Re: [users@httpd] pipelining in real world

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.